Nikola Karabatic a World, Olympic and European champion is among ten French handball players arrested amid match fixing allegations.
French police detained eight Montpellier players along with two from Paris Saint-Germain after the sides met in the French Capital on Sunday.
A member of the Montpellier coaching staff has also been taken into custody as well as one of the players girlfriends.
It is alleged that French handball matches were ‘fixed’ and then family members placed bets on the outcome of the games.
Suspicions arose after champions Montpellier lost their last match of last season to lowly Rennes.
A bet of 90,000 euros was placed on a Rennes victory, a bet that generated 200,000 euros in winnings.
Gambling in France is state run and alarm bells rang when the government agency saw the size of the wager.
A lawyer for Karabatic says his client admits to betting, but denies any match fixing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1UN peacekeepers’ “greatest escape” from Syrian rebels as they sleep
- 2Seriously ill boy removed from UK hospital found in Spain
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut
- 4EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president
- 5Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 8Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 12Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 15:08 CET Lesotho PM calls for regional peace force after ‘coup’ – aide
- 14:46 CET Britain ‘deplores’ Israel decision to claim West Bank land
- 14:04 CET Both sides guilty of atrocities in Iraq fight: U.N. debate
- 14:01 CET British government says it has no contingency plans for possible…
- 13:55 CET Libya’s elected parliament asks Abdullah al-Thinni to form new…
- 13:50 CET After deadline, Iran says held serious nuclear talks with IAEA
- 13:48 CET Detained Americans in North Korea seek help in interviews with CNN
- 13:43 CET Passenger train halted by mechanical problems in China’s northwest…