01/10/12 12:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Nikola Karabatic a World, Olympic and European champion is among ten French handball players arrested amid match fixing allegations.
French police detained eight Montpellier players along with two from Paris Saint-Germain after the sides met in the French Capital on Sunday.
A member of the Montpellier coaching staff has also been taken into custody as well as one of the players girlfriends.
It is alleged that French handball matches were ‘fixed’ and then family members placed bets on the outcome of the games.
Suspicions arose after champions Montpellier lost their last match of last season to lowly Rennes.
A bet of 90,000 euros was placed on a Rennes victory, a bet that generated 200,000 euros in winnings.
Gambling in France is state run and alarm bells rang when the government agency saw the size of the wager.
A lawyer for Karabatic says his client admits to betting, but denies any match fixing.
Wires > News
- 22:00 CET Ohio zoo defends shooting of gorilla after boy fell in enclosure
- 21:33 CET White House back to normal after partial lockdown – Secret Service
- 21:00 CET Brazil’s Temer pressed to drop anti-corruption minister
- 20:40 CET Outrage mounts over gorilla killing in boy’s rescue at Ohio zoo
- 20:20 CET Libyan oil guard says captures coastal town from Islamic State…
- 20:07 CET Drowned baby picture captures week of tragedy in Mediterranean
- 19:31 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 19:25 CET Chad’s ex-leader Habre, Cold War-era ally of West, gets life in…