01/10/12 12:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Nikola Karabatic a World, Olympic and European champion is among ten French handball players arrested amid match fixing allegations.
French police detained eight Montpellier players along with two from Paris Saint-Germain after the sides met in the French Capital on Sunday.
A member of the Montpellier coaching staff has also been taken into custody as well as one of the players girlfriends.
It is alleged that French handball matches were ‘fixed’ and then family members placed bets on the outcome of the games.
Suspicions arose after champions Montpellier lost their last match of last season to lowly Rennes.
A bet of 90,000 euros was placed on a Rennes victory, a bet that generated 200,000 euros in winnings.
Gambling in France is state run and alarm bells rang when the government agency saw the size of the wager.
A lawyer for Karabatic says his client admits to betting, but denies any match fixing.
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 3Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 4World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 5North Korea: broadcasts footage said to show latest missile launch
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
Wires > News
- 15:43 CET Ripple effect – scientists await word on gravitational waves
- 15:18 CET German government ends row over tighter asylum rules
- 15:02 CET Austria reports rise in conscripts volunteering for border duty
- 14:44 CET Insight – Back to its roots: how Zika may threaten Africa
- 14:33 CET NATO launches sea mission against people-smugglers
- 14:14 CET Prison riot in northeast Mexico kills dozens – media reports
- 13:56 CET Greeks at frontline of migrant crisis angry at Europe’s criticism
- 13:39 CET U.S. tells allies campaign to defeat Islamic State must be…