01/10/12 12:43 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Nikola Karabatic a World, Olympic and European champion is among ten French handball players arrested amid match fixing allegations.
French police detained eight Montpellier players along with two from Paris Saint-Germain after the sides met in the French Capital on Sunday.
A member of the Montpellier coaching staff has also been taken into custody as well as one of the players girlfriends.
It is alleged that French handball matches were ‘fixed’ and then family members placed bets on the outcome of the games.
Suspicions arose after champions Montpellier lost their last match of last season to lowly Rennes.
A bet of 90,000 euros was placed on a Rennes victory, a bet that generated 200,000 euros in winnings.
Gambling in France is state run and alarm bells rang when the government agency saw the size of the wager.
A lawyer for Karabatic says his client admits to betting, but denies any match fixing.
Wires > News
- 06:51 CET China airs two more confessions by Taiwan fraud suspects
- 05:42 CET South Korea revives GPS backup project after blaming North for…
- 04:25 CET Egyptian police raid press syndicate, arrest two journalists
- 03:32 CET Wary of China’s Indian Ocean activities, U.S., India discuss…
- 03:12 CET Brazil’s Rousseff ups social spending as Senate ruling looms
- 03:08 CET Pope condemns paedophilia as details of girl’s death shock Italy
- 00:46 CET Puerto Rico declares moratorium on Government Development Bank’s…
- 23:05 CET Islamic State boosts attacks in response to territorial losses -…