Nikola Karabatic a World, Olympic and European champion is among ten French handball players arrested amid match fixing allegations.
French police detained eight Montpellier players along with two from Paris Saint-Germain after the sides met in the French Capital on Sunday.
A member of the Montpellier coaching staff has also been taken into custody as well as one of the players girlfriends.
It is alleged that French handball matches were ‘fixed’ and then family members placed bets on the outcome of the games.
Suspicions arose after champions Montpellier lost their last match of last season to lowly Rennes.
A bet of 90,000 euros was placed on a Rennes victory, a bet that generated 200,000 euros in winnings.
Gambling in France is state run and alarm bells rang when the government agency saw the size of the wager.
A lawyer for Karabatic says his client admits to betting, but denies any match fixing.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 3The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Greece to default on IMF loan on Tuesday as banks close and panic buying begins
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 14:25 CET Myanmar students in peaceful march to protest political role of…
- 14:21 CET Dutch confident MH17 prosecution will eventually succeed
- 13:35 CET Iran and powers set to miss deadline as nuclear deal remains…
- 13:33 CET Hague mayor calls for calm after disturbances; 16 arrested
- 13:14 CET Tunisia sees Libya link to beach resort attacker – source
- 13:11 CET U.N. accuses South Sudan government forces of abusing, burning…
- 13:02 CET Iran’s Zarif upbeat about chances for final nuclear deal
- 12:57 CET Turkish opposition leader warns against intervention in Syria