Francois Hollande popped into the Paris Motor Show on Friday – a somewhat incongruous setting give his administration had just announced a budget that will hit the rich hard.
The French President has kept his campaign pledge to tax earnings in excess of one million euros at 75 percent.
But, surrounded by the latest offerings from car manufacturers, he also said big business was being asked to make an effort because it enjoys tax breaks that effectively give it an advantage over small and medium-sized companies.
Big businesses are to lose a tax break on capital gains for example and on certain share sales.
Government spending is also being frozen in a bid to recoup 30 billion euros and slash the deficit to 3 per cent of GDP next year – all that while protecting those least well-off.
“Those who get rich while they sleep, who enjoyed huge tax advantages on capital assets must not enjoy outrageous privileges compared to those who toil at work,” explained Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici.
“This entire budget has been designed so that those who have the most contribute more without penalising their ability to invest in the future.”
Following developments in Paris, euronews correspondent Giovanni Magi commented: “The fear of the French is that they’re going to be presented with the bill not only for the current crisis but also for decades of a generous welfare state.
“It seems France has now joined a number of other European countries, and its hour of austerity has come.”
- 1Merkel: no talks on new Greece bailout deal until after referendum
- 2Ku Klux Klan set for Confederate flag rally as black church fires probed
- 3UPDATE Egypt: Islamist militants affiliated to ISIL claim deadly Sinai attacks
- 4What is the market price of valour for Greece?
- 5Ukraine stops Russian gas imports after price talks collapse
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 04:13 CET Working engine on crashed TransAsia plane was shut off – Taiwan…
- 02:24 CET Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly…
- 00:50 CET Britain, Russia at odds over U.N. Srebrenica genocide commemoration
- 00:18 CET More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- 23:55 CET Migrant trafficker jailed for 18 years for 2013 shipwreck off Italy
- 23:20 CET Congo Republic leader calls for national dialogue, with term…
- 23:10 CET Fleeing a crisis, Greek migrants flock back to Australia
- 22:27 CET Mexico supreme court judge urges states to legalize gay marriage