An outbreak of an unknown virus in eastern Germany has made 4,000 school children ill. It is believed contaminated school lunches are to blame, causing excessive vomiting and diarrhoea among young sufferers.
Anke Protze who works for the Chemnitz Health Bureau, explains the nature of the illness.
“There are serious and not so serious cases - some children had to be hospitalised. With this sickness you have an enormous loss of fluids and minerals. That means the first thing to do is not give antibiotics but replace the fluids,” she said.
Several schools have closed their doors as a precautionary measure. All eyes are now on catering company Sodexo, which supplies all the schools hit by the bug.
Sodexo spokesman Stephan Dürholt outlined his company’s position: “For the moment we are not able to see any reasons for this. We’re analysing everything possible and are trying to eliminate all the things that could lead to any possible form of this disease.”
Prior to the virus, critics were already calling on the government to spend more money on school dinners. An investigation into the cause of the outbreak is currently underway by the German health department.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 3Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 11:22 CET Iran is complying with nuclear deal with powers – IAEA
- 11:20 CET Obama, Abe to battle negative images at U.S.- Japan summit
- 10:39 CET India holds biggest day of voting with Hindu nationalists gaining…
- 10:27 CET Japan makes two more oil payments to Iran – sources
- 10:04 CET Chinese police shoot man dead at checkpoint in Xinjiang
- 07:35 CET Hundreds still missing in deadly Korea ferry accident
- 07:06 CET Reports of e-cigarette injury jump amid rising popularity, …
- 05:20 CET China releases blogger on bail, jails another amid rumour crackdown