An outbreak of an unknown virus in eastern Germany has made 4,000 school children ill. It is believed contaminated school lunches are to blame, causing excessive vomiting and diarrhoea among young sufferers.
Anke Protze who works for the Chemnitz Health Bureau, explains the nature of the illness.
“There are serious and not so serious cases - some children had to be hospitalised. With this sickness you have an enormous loss of fluids and minerals. That means the first thing to do is not give antibiotics but replace the fluids,” she said.
Several schools have closed their doors as a precautionary measure. All eyes are now on catering company Sodexo, which supplies all the schools hit by the bug.
Sodexo spokesman Stephan Dürholt outlined his company’s position: “For the moment we are not able to see any reasons for this. We’re analysing everything possible and are trying to eliminate all the things that could lead to any possible form of this disease.”
Prior to the virus, critics were already calling on the government to spend more money on school dinners. An investigation into the cause of the outbreak is currently underway by the German health department.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Fears of contagion in Europe after UK Brexit vote
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
Wires > News
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:25 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…
- 19:34 CET Spanish court urges trial of ex-Catalan leader over referendum
- 19:28 CET Germany girds for potential spike in Islamic State attacks in…
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…