An outbreak of an unknown virus in eastern Germany has made 4,000 school children ill. It is believed contaminated school lunches are to blame, causing excessive vomiting and diarrhoea among young sufferers.
Anke Protze who works for the Chemnitz Health Bureau, explains the nature of the illness.
“There are serious and not so serious cases - some children had to be hospitalised. With this sickness you have an enormous loss of fluids and minerals. That means the first thing to do is not give antibiotics but replace the fluids,” she said.
Several schools have closed their doors as a precautionary measure. All eyes are now on catering company Sodexo, which supplies all the schools hit by the bug.
Sodexo spokesman Stephan Dürholt outlined his company’s position: “For the moment we are not able to see any reasons for this. We’re analysing everything possible and are trying to eliminate all the things that could lead to any possible form of this disease.”
Prior to the virus, critics were already calling on the government to spend more money on school dinners. An investigation into the cause of the outbreak is currently underway by the German health department.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Dutch court agrees extradition of French terror suspect
Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
Wires > News
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:48 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants
- 18:59 CET Egypt rights activist says banned from travel
- 18:28 CET Australian family facing deportation highlights UK immigration…
- 18:16 CET Trump, Le Pen, Brexiteer Johnson dubbed a ‘horror’ show as …
- 17:38 CET Afghanistan sees Taliban leader as rigid conservative uninterested…