France’s Socialist government unveils its first budget today, and it is expected to be the toughest for 30 years.
France has managed to stave off full-blown austerity until now, but worsening public finances and growth slowing to a standstill in the last quarter means Paris has to slam the brakes on public spending to ease pressure on the euro and stay credible in the international money markets.
“Balancing the government budget is the first step towards improving the growth rate. Now it’s a big risk because it’s possible that, as they try to reduce government spending and return to a balanced budget, they have a negative impact on growth. If growth fails, deficits increase, and they won’t be able to balance the budget. So it’s clearly a risk that he is taking, but that’s the calculation,” says the Paris Institute for Political Studies’ Christopher Bickerton.
Coalition partners the Greens have said they will not vote for the budget in parliament, so it will pass with support from the right.
“I think the French government has actually relatively modest assumptions for the growth outlook in 2013, and I think against that background that France will hit the target of three percent next year,” says Daiwa Capital Markets’ Tobias Blattner.
Thirty billion euros of cuts are designed to get the deficit back to three percent of GDP by the end of next year. But it is all happening as France struggles with its highest unemployment in 13 years.
- 1French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 2Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
- 3Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
- 4Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 5Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5France awards Legion of Honour to men who disarmed train gunman
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Latest world news
Christians protest against Israel’s ‘divisive’ separation barrier
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
Malaysia: Ex-leader urges ‘people power’ to topple scandal-hit PM
Large protests in Japan against plans to expand military role
Austria and Hungary hope arrests will lead to human trafficking ringleaders
Wires > News
- 03:35 CET ‘The Storm Makers’ puts Cambodia’s sex-trafficking under spotlight
- 03:08 CET Insight – Clan warfare trumps diplomacy in Mali’s fragile north
- 01:39 CET Fire at Saudi oil workers’ compound kills 10, many injured
- 21:40 CET Islamic State destroys part of Syria’s Temple of Bel – monitors
- 21:05 CET Egypt sets October election date, after three years without…
- 19:23 CET U.S., allies conduct 20 air strikes against Islamic State – …
- 18:21 CET Swazi police confirm 13 die in crash en route to royal ceremony
- 17:49 CET Scioli expands lead in Argentina presidential race, runoff seen