It is France’s turn to feel the cold wind of austerity following the publication of the Socialists’ first budget.
It aims to raise 30 billion euros from higher taxes and savings in public spending to get the budget deficit down to three percent of GDP by the end of next year.
There will be higher taxes on the rich, but none of the structural reforms forced upon the Greek, Portuguese or Spanish governments.
“In this Europe whose orientation is changing, France has a particular role to play… and what we’re doing today with the budget is a major policy move, an act of confidence, an act of mobilisation,” said Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault.
France has not had a budget surplus since 1974, and is taking this step to shore up market confidence in its economy and bolster the euro. But with no growth and climbing unemployment, is it the right time to hit the brakes?
“This is a budget that will cause a recession in our country. Taxes will hit companies and then they will not invest more and create more jobs. They will hit households and then they will consume less so that will not create more jobs,” said the opposition UMP’s former budget minister Valerie Precresse.
Unemployment in September hit a 13-year high, with a rising number of long-term and young unemployed. The French have never been slow to take to the streets to protest; how long will it be before they challenge the government?
- 1Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 2Syria fighting rages despite fresh efforts to end the war
- 3Gravitational waves offer ‘a new window on the Universe’
- 4Austria calls on FYRM to close borders to migrants
- 5Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 1Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 4Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 5Oh là là – does French ruling mean more nude pictures on Facebook?
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 5Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Partnering to grow Europe
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 7Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 10Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 11‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 182015 | archives : euronews
- 19French language revolution in France
- 20Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
Latest world news
Warm welcome for Pope Francis as he kicks off Mexico visit
Assad comes out fighting and says will take back “whole country” in interview
Cameron meets Merkel in last pre-summit referendum talks
Catholic and Russian Orthodox leaders end 1000-year standoff
Protests in Bahrain in run up to Arab Spring anniversary
Wires > News
- 08:59 CET Central Asia’s tallest tower, being built in Kazakhstan, hit by…
- 08:40 CET Myanmar army chief to get five year extension as talks with Suu…
- 08:16 CET Australian PM in second revamp of ministry ahead of elections
- 06:58 CET South Korea, U.S. to discuss missile defence; South cuts power to…
- 05:40 CET North Korea to halt search for Japanese abductees – KCNA
- 04:13 CET Quake hits eastern Indonesia island, no casualties reported
- 03:45 CET Australian hospital refuses to release baby for detention on Nauru
- 02:24 CET After 1,000-year split, pope and Russian patriarch embrace in Cuba