27/09/12 13:03 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Germany could become the first country in the world to give grandparents the equivalent of maternity leave.
Family minister Kristina Schröder says she’s responding to figures showing that more than half of German parents say grandparents play a vital role bringing up their children.
She wants jobs to be safeguarded while grandparents take unpaid leave for long periods.
“Often grandparents are working themselves and they would like to take more time off to spend with their grandchildren. That’s why we want to introduce a “grandparents’ time” that allows working grandparents to quit their job for a while or to temporarily reduce their working hours,” said Schröder
The minister hopes to make it legal for employees of firms with more than 15 workers to request the grandparents’ leave.
It is thought the new rights would reduce childcare costs, particularly for parents on low incomes and would benefit one parent families significant.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
UK: Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn loses confidence vote in wake of Brexit vote
‘Scotland’s voice will be heard’ – Sturgeon vows to fight to maintain EU ties
Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
EU leaders gather for the post-Brexit summit in Brussels
Germany says UK will not be allowed to ‘cherry pick’ over Brexit deal
Wires > News
- 18:27 CET Iraqis from Falluja in ‘desperate’ need of aid – charity
- 18:13 CET Michelle Obama, daughters and mom promote girls’ education in…
- 18:09 CET Sweden, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. council for 2017-18
- 17:22 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 17:17 CET Cracks show inside Islamic State’s shrinking caliphate
- 17:16 CET Poland risks Moscow’s ire with plan to relocate war memorials
- 16:56 CET Kremlin dents Turkish hopes for quick restoration of ties
- 16:54 CET IS Syria stronghold Raqqa next after Manbij operation is completed…