Germany could become the first country in the world to give grandparents the equivalent of maternity leave.
Family minister Kristina Schröder says she’s responding to figures showing that more than half of German parents say grandparents play a vital role bringing up their children.
She wants jobs to be safeguarded while grandparents take unpaid leave for long periods.
“Often grandparents are working themselves and they would like to take more time off to spend with their grandchildren. That’s why we want to introduce a “grandparents’ time” that allows working grandparents to quit their job for a while or to temporarily reduce their working hours,” said Schröder
The minister hopes to make it legal for employees of firms with more than 15 workers to request the grandparents’ leave.
It is thought the new rights would reduce childcare costs, particularly for parents on low incomes and would benefit one parent families significant.
- 1Ukraine: Policeman killed and scores injured as MPs back more autonomy for the east
- 2Migrants: Austria tightens up border controls
- 3Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 4Relentless flow of refugees continues in Europe
- 5‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 09:34 CET Shaky Japanese submarine pitch puts Australian industry offside
- 09:32 CET Three killed, dozens wounded, in suicide attack on Pakistan forces
- 08:37 CET Singapore ruling party for first time faces election fight for…
- 08:30 CET Turkish police raid offices of conglomerate close to cleric Gulen…
- 07:33 CET Reporters cleared in Thai navy defamation case
- 06:07 CET Insight – Anti-Muslim Buddhist group moves toward Myanmar’s…
- 05:20 CET OAS will not hold meeting on Venezuela-Colombia border crisis
- 04:30 CET Fire in Venezuela prison kills 17 people, prosecutor says