26/09/12 18:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Smoke from petrol bombs spread across streets in Athens. Gangs of young people hurled stones and bottles and were chased by riot police firing tear gas through Syntagma square in front of the Greek parliament.
Helicopters buzzed overhead as violence flared during an anti-austerity march in the capital.
Reports indicate there have been no serious injuries with some 120 people detained.
Some of the rioters smashed bus stop kiosks and set fire to rubbish bins.
Authorities deployed twice as many police as those on duty at previous rallies in a bid to avoid a repeat of rioting which has flared at similar demos.
This was the single biggest demonstration since Greece’s coalition government took power in June and it paralysed the streets of Athens with the number of protesters estimated to be in the region of 70,000.
The march organised by the two largest trade unions was part of a 24-hour strike across the country.
It was called in protest at the latest round of planned spending cuts. The government must save 11.5bn euros as a precondition to receiving its next tranche of bailout funds.
- 1Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
- 2No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
- 3Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
- 4Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
- 5Refugee numbers drop while obstacles multiply for some nationalities
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 4International news | euronews, latest international news
- 51000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 6latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 9Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 10New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 11Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 14Egypt armed forces chief Abdul Fattah al-Sisi – a man of destiny
- 15Latest sport news
- 16Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
- 17Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 18‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 19No Comment | euronews: international news images without commentary
- 20‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
Latest world news
Germany will ‘do more’ to fight ISIL, says Merkel
Turkey’s NATO ambassador defends downing of Russian fighter jet
No violation, no warning, a premediatated provocation growls Moscow
Russian co-pilot says his plane downed “without warning” by Turks
Ukraine and Russia clash again over gas pricing
Wires > News
- 05:49 CET Chicago calm a day after release of video of police shooting…
- 05:09 CET China pledges to work with Africa in fighting militancy after Mali…
- 04:27 CET Japan’s CO2 emissions fall 3 percent to three-year low in FY2014
- 04:10 CET Venezuela opposition activist shot dead, party says
- 03:08 CET Argentine president-elect taps ex-central banker as finance…
- 02:30 CET Thai graft, royal insult cases threaten to embroil junta
- 02:04 CET Exclusive – U.S. has urged legal reforms abroad to block Islamic…
- 01:04 CET Human error led to deadly U.S. strike on Afghan hospital – military