Smoke from petrol bombs spread across streets in Athens. Gangs of young people hurled stones and bottles and were chased by riot police firing tear gas through Syntagma square in front of the Greek parliament.
Helicopters buzzed overhead as violence flared during an anti-austerity march in the capital.
Reports indicate there have been no serious injuries with some 120 people detained.
Some of the rioters smashed bus stop kiosks and set fire to rubbish bins.
Authorities deployed twice as many police as those on duty at previous rallies in a bid to avoid a repeat of rioting which has flared at similar demos.
This was the single biggest demonstration since Greece’s coalition government took power in June and it paralysed the streets of Athens with the number of protesters estimated to be in the region of 70,000.
The march organised by the two largest trade unions was part of a 24-hour strike across the country.
It was called in protest at the latest round of planned spending cuts. The government must save 11.5bn euros as a precondition to receiving its next tranche of bailout funds.
- 1Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note and ‘mystery illness’ raise more questions about co-pilot
- 2Germanwings plane crash explanation stuns Europe
- 3Media respect called into question over Germanwings coverage
- 4Airstrikes in Yemen: “Local people will pay a heavy price”
- 5Germanwings crash: Andreas Lubitz ‘received treatment for depression’
- 1Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 2Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 3Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 4French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately
- 5New reports claim Airbus crash voice recorder reveals pilot ‘was locked out of cockpit’
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Amazement in the hometown of Germanwings co-pilot Andreas Lubitz
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 11French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 12Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 13Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 14Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:13 CET Nigerians vote in first genuine contest since end of dictatorship
- 01:08 CET Amanda Knox acquitted of murder by Italy’s top court
- 23:43 CET Saudi blogger Badawi views survival of 50 lashes as miracle -…
- 22:48 CET Togo says to delay presidential election until April 25
- 22:24 CET Syrian army closes in on city near Lebanese border
- 22:22 CET Latvia says Russia’s military rhetoric is ‘alarming’
- 21:29 CET Saudi Arabia decides to restore ambassador to Sweden – Al Arabiya…
- 20:27 CET France presses at U.N. for Islamic State to face world court