26/09/12 18:05 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Smoke from petrol bombs spread across streets in Athens. Gangs of young people hurled stones and bottles and were chased by riot police firing tear gas through Syntagma square in front of the Greek parliament.
Helicopters buzzed overhead as violence flared during an anti-austerity march in the capital.
Reports indicate there have been no serious injuries with some 120 people detained.
Some of the rioters smashed bus stop kiosks and set fire to rubbish bins.
Authorities deployed twice as many police as those on duty at previous rallies in a bid to avoid a repeat of rioting which has flared at similar demos.
This was the single biggest demonstration since Greece’s coalition government took power in June and it paralysed the streets of Athens with the number of protesters estimated to be in the region of 70,000.
The march organised by the two largest trade unions was part of a 24-hour strike across the country.
It was called in protest at the latest round of planned spending cuts. The government must save 11.5bn euros as a precondition to receiving its next tranche of bailout funds.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget