Somalia has promised to find civilian jobs and training for rebels from the radical Islamist group Al Shabaab if they abandon their part in a six year old insurgency.
The new deal comes after around 250 fighters from the Al-Qaeda linked group surrendered to pro-government forces over the weekend.
Interior minister Abdisamed Mohamed Hassan appealed to the estimated 6,000 militants occupying areas in the south of the country to give themselves up.
“If the Shabaab come back, we’ll not just send them to the streets. We will divide them into few groups. If they come voluntarily, they’re going to be part of the factories and we will take care of them. We try to improve their skills and we will try to protect them. If they come as fighters, then we pass to the Justice Department and they will go to jail,” he said.
In another significant blow to the rebels, a closely aligned insurgent group Hezbul Islam has announced an end to its alliance with Al Shabaab. Leaders cited ideological differences.
Al Shabaab has been fighting the Somali government since 2006. The militants were forced out of the capital Mogadishu last year but still carry out suicide attacks and attempted to assassinate the country’s new President earlier this month, two days after he was elected.
- 1Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 2Albert Einstein and the incredible discovery of gravitational waves
- 3Major powers agree on truce in Syria “within a week”
- 4Turkey threatens to unleash refugees on Europe
- 5Democratic nomination: Clinton crushes Sanders – thanks to “superdelegates”
- 1Turkey blames US for ‘sea of blood’ in region
- 2Einstein was right! Scientists confirm that gravitational waves exist
- 3Nigeria: suicide bomber turns herself in after recognising relatives among potential victims
- 4Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 5World powers arrive in Munich hoping to resurrect Syrian peace talks
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Partnering to grow Europe
- 5Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 8Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 15latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 16Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 17Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18French language revolution in France
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
Wires > News
- 16:51 CET France to evict almost 1,000 migrants from ‘jungle’ near Calais
- 16:49 CET Iraqi PM says has won back half of IS-held territories
- 15:30 CET Pope gets shoe shine on Cuba-bound plane
- 15:19 CET Britain says missing Hong Kong bookseller ‘involuntarily removed‘…
- 14:50 CET No one believed killed or injured in Istanbul building collapse -…
- 14:40 CET U.S., allies stage 20 strikes against Islamic State in Iraq -…
- 14:30 CET Pakistan says no ‘organised presence’ of Islamic State, despite…
- 14:19 CET New app helps young Iranians avoid ‘morality police’