They were on the brink of war in April, but now the leaders of Sudan and South Sudan have held face-to-face talks in Ethiopia.
A UN deadline for a peace agreement has been extended. The two sides will meet for more talks on Monday.
At a hastily-convened briefing, a spokesman for the Sudanese delegation said most of the economic issues are resolved and the main stumbling block remaining is the security issue.
South Sudan seceded from the North in July 2011 after decades of civil war.
But a long list of issues were left unresolved including border demarcation, oil fees and mutual allegations of rebel support.
The armies of both nations fought for weeks in April along the unmarked and disputed border after a row escalated over how much South Sudan should pay to use its neighbour’s oil pipelines.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 16eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 17Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 17:48 CET U.S. says Iranian forces fire on and board cargo ship in Gulf
- 17:46 CET Tsipras presses for May debt deal, threatens referendum
- 17:10 CET Baltimore cleans up, mayor scrambles after riot over…
- 16:50 CET Man who fought in Syria detained in Bosnia over police killing
- 16:39 CET Obama hosts Japan’s Abe, hails alliance as ‘indestructible’
- 16:30 CET EU’s Mogherini, Iran’s Zarif to hold talks in New York on Tuesday
- 16:25 CET Kurds arrest five over bombing outside U.S. consulate in Erbil
- 16:16 CET Xenophobia row exposes rivalry between South Africa and Nigeria