They were on the brink of war in April, but now the leaders of Sudan and South Sudan have held face-to-face talks in Ethiopia.
A UN deadline for a peace agreement has been extended. The two sides will meet for more talks on Monday.
At a hastily-convened briefing, a spokesman for the Sudanese delegation said most of the economic issues are resolved and the main stumbling block remaining is the security issue.
South Sudan seceded from the North in July 2011 after decades of civil war.
But a long list of issues were left unresolved including border demarcation, oil fees and mutual allegations of rebel support.
The armies of both nations fought for weeks in April along the unmarked and disputed border after a row escalated over how much South Sudan should pay to use its neighbour’s oil pipelines.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 05:15 CET Disappointment, uncertainty after India blocks WTO trade deal
- 03:57 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 22, injures 270, shoots flames high into…
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route