Bowing to the pressure to create jobs in deprived areas, French President Francois Hollande has agreed to Qatar investing millions of euros into development in France’s troubled suburbs.
The idea was so controversial, it was shelved until after the presidential election by former president Nicolas Sarkozy.
Nevertheless, Hollande met with Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani in August, and now the French government will match or exceed the amount invested by Qatar.
French entrepeneur Mohame Kemliche is thankful for the plan: “Today, there is a person who will provide finance. This money is a godsend. If you have the money and can recover and create jobs, it is a boost to the suburbs and people will be able to work.”
This money for the suburbs differs to Qatar’s interests in high-profile French companies, including Paris St Germain football club.
However, some are questioning the investment motives.
“They are putting money into these areas only because these populations are predominantly Muslim. It is therefore a religious investment,” said far-right Front National President Marine Le Pen.
“The money shouldn’t be refused on principle. Especially not, as Marine Le Pen says, because Qatar is a Muslim country. This isn’t a problem,” argued Socialist party deputy François Pupponi.
It is believed Qatar will commit around 50 million euros to the suburbs plan and could help rejuvenate areas where unemployment is sometimes over 40 percent.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 3Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 4Exclusive: EU should create immigrant processing centre in Turkey, says German minister
- 5New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Venezuela-Colombia tensions rise as Caracas shuts more of border
Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
Germany: welcoming and rejecting asylum seekers
Lebanon: government pledges to protect protesters at rubbish rally
Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
Wires > News
- 08:17 CET Protesters gather to pile more pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 06:10 CET Pensioner killed in Venezuela supermarket melee, opposition says
- 02:05 CET Libyan drownings, lorry of corpses drive up migrant toll
- 23:59 CET Venezuela’s Maduro to visit China, Vietnam for finance deals
- 23:38 CET U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Germany for training deployment
- 22:06 CET U.S.‘s Biden speaks with Ukrainian President Poroshenko about…
- 21:53 CET Policeman killed by blast in Bahrain village – interior ministry
- 21:20 CET Greek poll shows Syriza leftists leading conservatives