22/09/12 13:14 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
It was planned as a small town birthday party for a sixteen-year-old girl. The invitations were issued and around 3,000 revellers turned up sparking violent clashes.
The, ‘birthday girl’ had forgotten to set her Facebook event to ‘private’ and the planned celebrations went viral.
Riot police broke up the crowd after the violence had flared in the town of Haren in the north of Holland.
Reports say up to 600 riot police were at the scene while six people were hurt, including three seriously and 20 people were arrested.
Its claimed shops were vandalised and looted and a car set on fire before the police broke up the crowd.
The girl who had planned her party would be small scale fled her home hours before the crowd descended on Haren which has a population of just under 19,000. The town had reportedly been preparing for the event all week.
Some revellers accused the police of over-reacting.
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 3Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 4Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
- 5What is behind Turkey’s recent diplomatic push?
Latest world news
EU 27 meet in Brussels – and the UK is not invited
World condemns Turkey airport attack
Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 36 dead and scores injured
Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
European Union leaders speak with one voice over Istanbul airport attacks
Wires > News
- 10:00 CET India’s top court refuses to hear gay-sex ban challenge
- 09:17 CET Syria rebels battle IS at Iraqi border, aim to cut ‘caliphate’ in…
- 09:14 CET Malaysian police probe grenade attack, checking credibility of …
- 07:46 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 06:05 CET Exclusive: U.S. to upgrade Thailand in annual human trafficking…
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…