It was planned as a small town birthday party for a sixteen-year-old girl. The invitations were issued and around 3,000 revellers turned up sparking violent clashes.
The, ‘birthday girl’ had forgotten to set her Facebook event to ‘private’ and the planned celebrations went viral.
Riot police broke up the crowd after the violence had flared in the town of Haren in the north of Holland.
Reports say up to 600 riot police were at the scene while six people were hurt, including three seriously and 20 people were arrested.
Its claimed shops were vandalised and looted and a car set on fire before the police broke up the crowd.
The girl who had planned her party would be small scale fled her home hours before the crowd descended on Haren which has a population of just under 19,000. The town had reportedly been preparing for the event all week.
Some revellers accused the police of over-reacting.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 23:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 23:42 CET Police seek motive in fatal Washington state school shooting
- 23:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 22:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 21:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO
- 21:36 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 21:30 CET In rural Tunisia, economic malaise weighs on voters
- 21:24 CET Lebanon army fights gunmen in Tripoli, six soldiers killed