Czech ice hockey legend Jaromir Jagr has returned home to play for the team he owns near Prague for the duration of the NHL lockout in the United States.
The 40-year-old recently ended his contract with the Philadelphia Flyers and was due to start playing for the Dallas Stars this season, but he’s unlikely to take to the ice in Texas anytime soon as there is no resolution of the dispute in sight.
This exodus to Europe by several players in the league comes just one year after a similar lockout situation in the NBA.
Negotiations between NHL administrators and players have broken down and pre-season games in September have all been cancelled leaving players to temporarily look elsewhere.
On Wednesday Jagr, who has also played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, played in his first game in the Czech Extraliga against rivals HC Slavia Praha, a team which also includes Calgary Flames centre Roman Cervenka, who has also returned home for the duration of the enforced break in the US.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 14:44 CET Nevill gets nod ahead of Haddin for third test
- 13:34 CET Some in Almaty cool on 2022 Winter Olympics bid
- 11:41 CET Ennis-Hill to compete at world championships
- 11:39 CET Putting touch has deserted me, says Poulter
- 11:36 CET South Africa’s first post-isolation captain Rice dies
- 08:56 CET IOC expects U.S. 2024 bid despite Boston pullout
- 08:00 CET Aboriginal Goodes takes break after fan abuse
- 07:57 CET Indian Chand cleared to compete after CAS ruling