Czech ice hockey legend Jaromir Jagr has returned home to play for the team he owns near Prague for the duration of the NHL lockout in the United States.
The 40-year-old recently ended his contract with the Philadelphia Flyers and was due to start playing for the Dallas Stars this season, but he’s unlikely to take to the ice in Texas anytime soon as there is no resolution of the dispute in sight.
This exodus to Europe by several players in the league comes just one year after a similar lockout situation in the NBA.
Negotiations between NHL administrators and players have broken down and pre-season games in September have all been cancelled leaving players to temporarily look elsewhere.
On Wednesday Jagr, who has also played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, played in his first game in the Czech Extraliga against rivals HC Slavia Praha, a team which also includes Calgary Flames centre Roman Cervenka, who has also returned home for the duration of the enforced break in the US.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Serbia and Albania await Uefa punishment over violence-marred Euro2016 qualifier
- 2Volvo Ocean Race: Fleet still together one week in
- 3FIFA begins 2018 World Cup stadium inspection
- 4AS Roma suffer humiliating defeat to Bayern in Champions League
- 5Heavyweights in action on final day of Judo Grand Prix Tashkent
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > Sport
- 19:27 CET Wenger affords a smile as he remembers Battle of the Buffet
- 19:14 CET Mourinho is a very Special One, says Van Gaal
- 18:21 CET ‘Babyface’ Gallardo rejuvenates Argentine game
- 17:59 CET Ivanovic bows out despite beating Halep at WTA Finals
- 17:47 CET Murray improves London chances with Valencia win
- 16:13 CET Williams guaranteed year-end number one ranking
- 15:45 CET Kvitova targets Fed Cup win after WTA Finals exit
- 15:31 CET Suarez to return in clasico, says Barca coach