Czech ice hockey legend Jaromir Jagr has returned home to play for the team he owns near Prague for the duration of the NHL lockout in the United States.
The 40-year-old recently ended his contract with the Philadelphia Flyers and was due to start playing for the Dallas Stars this season, but he’s unlikely to take to the ice in Texas anytime soon as there is no resolution of the dispute in sight.
This exodus to Europe by several players in the league comes just one year after a similar lockout situation in the NBA.
Negotiations between NHL administrators and players have broken down and pre-season games in September have all been cancelled leaving players to temporarily look elsewhere.
On Wednesday Jagr, who has also played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, played in his first game in the Czech Extraliga against rivals HC Slavia Praha, a team which also includes Calgary Flames centre Roman Cervenka, who has also returned home for the duration of the enforced break in the US.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 11Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 15Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 16Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Romania left red-faced after France-Germany map gaffe | euronews, world news
- 18Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
- 19Putin’s secret plan to seize Crimea | euronews, world news
- 20How much sugar should you eat? | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 02:09 CET Del Potro refuses to be downhearted after comeback loss
- 01:56 CET Venus and Wozniacki ease into third round in Miami
- 01:51 CET Australia confident Hazlewood will be fit for final
- 23:37 CET Brazil hand France first defeat since World Cup
- 23:23 CET Premier League to share billion pounds outside top flight
- 22:34 CET McDowell pulls out of Texas Open with Masters in mind
- 21:31 CET CSKA ask fans for emergency backing amid expulsion threat
- 21:28 CET Analysis – Mourinho has resuscitated Terry’s Chelsea career