Czech ice hockey legend Jaromir Jagr has returned home to play for the team he owns near Prague for the duration of the NHL lockout in the United States.
The 40-year-old recently ended his contract with the Philadelphia Flyers and was due to start playing for the Dallas Stars this season, but he’s unlikely to take to the ice in Texas anytime soon as there is no resolution of the dispute in sight.
This exodus to Europe by several players in the league comes just one year after a similar lockout situation in the NBA.
Negotiations between NHL administrators and players have broken down and pre-season games in September have all been cancelled leaving players to temporarily look elsewhere.
On Wednesday Jagr, who has also played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, played in his first game in the Czech Extraliga against rivals HC Slavia Praha, a team which also includes Calgary Flames centre Roman Cervenka, who has also returned home for the duration of the enforced break in the US.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Chavas retains red as Stuyven wins crash-hit Vuelta stage
Bolt celebrates triple triumph at world championships
German sailor Heil infected by Rio’s polluted water
Vuelta a Espana: Lindeman wins stage seven as Froome loses time on title rivals
Judo World Championships: Emane claims third career world title
Wires > Sport
- 13:45 CET Ayana denies Dibaba with stunning 5,000m gold
- 13:37 CET Redding joins Pramac Ducati MotoGP team for 2016
- 13:02 CET Cruz Azul woes worsen with Crosas knee injury
- 11:20 CET Namibia relish All Black challenge, coach says
- 11:17 CET High risk, high reward sees Naholo in All Blacks squad
- 09:28 CET Vermaelen takes plaudits after debut Barca goal
- 09:01 CET ‘Falcon’ Navas raises question over Real need for De Gea
- 07:45 CET Legendary trainer Cummings dies aged 87