Czech ice hockey legend Jaromir Jagr has returned home to play for the team he owns near Prague for the duration of the NHL lockout in the United States.
The 40-year-old recently ended his contract with the Philadelphia Flyers and was due to start playing for the Dallas Stars this season, but he’s unlikely to take to the ice in Texas anytime soon as there is no resolution of the dispute in sight.
This exodus to Europe by several players in the league comes just one year after a similar lockout situation in the NBA.
Negotiations between NHL administrators and players have broken down and pre-season games in September have all been cancelled leaving players to temporarily look elsewhere.
On Wednesday Jagr, who has also played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, played in his first game in the Czech Extraliga against rivals HC Slavia Praha, a team which also includes Calgary Flames centre Roman Cervenka, who has also returned home for the duration of the enforced break in the US.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > Sport
- 17:15 CET Berdych begins title quest, Cornet survives
- 16:33 CET Razzano serves underarm at match point, and misses
- 15:27 CET Bayliss set to become England coach – reports
- 14:58 CET Arteta may make FA Cup final, says Wenger
- 14:28 CET Blatter misled us all, says Platini
- 13:30 CET Berdych storms into French Open second round
- 13:28 CET Sheffield United sack Clough
- 11:33 CET Badminton joins SportAccord exodus over IOC attack