Czech ice hockey legend Jaromir Jagr has returned home to play for the team he owns near Prague for the duration of the NHL lockout in the United States.
The 40-year-old recently ended his contract with the Philadelphia Flyers and was due to start playing for the Dallas Stars this season, but he’s unlikely to take to the ice in Texas anytime soon as there is no resolution of the dispute in sight.
This exodus to Europe by several players in the league comes just one year after a similar lockout situation in the NBA.
Negotiations between NHL administrators and players have broken down and pre-season games in September have all been cancelled leaving players to temporarily look elsewhere.
On Wednesday Jagr, who has also played for the Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals and New York Rangers, played in his first game in the Czech Extraliga against rivals HC Slavia Praha, a team which also includes Calgary Flames centre Roman Cervenka, who has also returned home for the duration of the enforced break in the US.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 4Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 5French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 6Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 7eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 14Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Germany: Violence flares at anti-austerity protest against new ECB headquarters | euronews, world news
- 18European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 12:56 CET Arteta confident of new Arsenal deal on return from injury
- 12:53 CET Gul to replace injured Adil in Pakistan ODI squad
- 12:20 CET Indonesia suspends local association, risks FIFA wrath
- 11:56 CET Aphibarnrat grabs Shenzhen lead despite late woes
- 10:52 CET Sloppy Japan beat hosts Korea in Asia Championship opener
- 09:54 CET Capacity of 2018 World Cup final venue to be cut by 8,000
- 08:56 CET Phelps fails to qualify for 400m freestyle final
- 08:15 CET ‘Diamond’ Phachara hopes to sparkle on Asian Tour debut