France has inaugurated a memorial and museum to honour the memory of Jews deported during the second world war.
President François Hollande went to Drancy, north of Paris, the transit hub for the deportees. A lone railway carriage already sits there in memory of the 65,000 Jews who passed through the town. Only 2000 survived.
“Today what is important is to transmit the message, that’s the spirit of this memorial. The transmission of testimony that’s the future of memory, said Hollande.
For decades after the second world war an ashamed France refused to acknowledge the role the Vichy republic willingly played in the Nazi’s anti-semitic nightmare.
Only in the 1990s did President Chirac recognise, and apologise, and steps were taken to ensure the Holocaust was included in school programmes. Several monuments were also erected.
The leader of France’s Front Nationale Marine le Pen, out in the cold somewhat since the May elections, got a foot in the news by saying that if the Muslim veil were banned in public places, then so should the Jewish Kippa, or any other religious clothing. Her outburst was widely condemned by the mainstream parties and religious groups.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 2Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4At least 27 killed in rocket attack on Ukraine’s Mariupol
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Kyiv claims victory in new battle for control of Donetsk airport
- 3Anti-Charlie protests turn violent in Niger, Pakistan and Algeria
- 4Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 5Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 1The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 9Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 06:10 CET Greek leftists Syriza aim for landmark election win
- 05:56 CET Journalist who broke news of prosecutor’s death flees Argentina
- 05:32 CET Unlikely buddies Obama and Modi aim high on India trip
- 05:27 CET Japan condemns apparent IS execution, demands hostage release
- 05:16 CET U.S. airline flights land in Atlanta after bomb threats
- 22:08 CET Protester killed in Egypt on eve of anniversary of 2011 uprising
- 21:57 CET Saudi foreign minister has successful back surgery in U.S. – agency
- 21:31 CET Lungu wins Zambia presidential election with 48.3 percent of vote