France has tightened security around the world wherever its nationals may face danger from Muslims outraged at blasphemous cartoons published in Paris.
In Lebanon the government has reinforced security near French schools, cultural centres, embassy offices and homes of expatriates.
Embassies and other official outposts across the muslim world have been closed; in 20 countries the French are lying low.
Ask these mothers in Tunisia what they think of the editor of the magazine that published the cartoons; free speech is all very nice, if you’re safe in Paris.
“Poor fool, I’m sorry, but you poor fool. You’re safe at home, nothing will happen to you, but we’re here in Tunisia. All the French who live in the Muslim world are today feeling threatened, targets,” said one.
French schools are closed and their residential areas are deserted, while the Tunisian government has banned Friday protests.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president