An eco-friendly building christened “The Crystal”, built near London’s Olympic Park has been crowned one of the most advanced environmentally friendly buildings in the world.
Commissioned by electronics giant Siemans, it aims to use half the energy of other major exhibition spaces and produces 65 percent fewer polluting emissions.
An all-electric building, “The Crystal” uses solar power and ground source heat pumps to generate its own energy, meaning no fossil fuels are burnt in the process.
At the heart of the eco-friendly construction is an immersive exhibition where you can explore the global trends and challenges facing cities today. The exhibition seeks not only to showcase ideas and technology but also to stimulate discovery. The only problem remaining with all eco-buildings though, is finding a way to produce raw materials in an environmentally friendly way.
Though the glass may look transparent, it is covered by a special film, while a central control system monitors and moves the windows. “The Crystal” will open to the public on September 29th.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news