Google, Amazon.com, eBay, Facebook and other Internet companies have formed a lobbying group called The Internet Association to tackle regulatory and political issues in Washington, D.C., and it is due to kick off on Wednesday. It will lobby on issues such as allocation of visas forengineers and matters of privacy and piracy, said the group’s president Michael Beckerman, a former advisor to Fred Upton, the chairman of the U.S. House of Representatives’ Energy and Commerce Committee.
Other members include Expedia, LinkedIn, Monster Worldwide, Yahoo! and Zynga. Formation of the group marks a stronger alliance of Internet companies as they try to influence regulations pertaining to revenue repatriation, cyber security, and sales tax. “It is the Internet’s decentralized and open model that has unleashed unprecedented entrepreneurialism,” said Beckerman. “Policymakers must understand that the preservation of that freedom is essential to the vitality of the Internet itself and the resulting economic prosperity.”
Google and Facebook are among the companies that have been steadily ramping up spending on lobbying the federal government. Older tech companies, like Microsoft, have long been active in Washington. Google, which is being investigated by antitrust regulatorsin the United States and Europe, has lobbied officials at the Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commissionand the Department of Commerce, according to disclosure forms. Facebook has lobbied regarding online privacy and immigrationreform while also talking to lawmakers and their staffs aboutmatters concerning initial public offerings.
In May, Facebook became the first U.S. company to go publicwith a market valuation above $100 billion. Its market debut was marred by technological problems on the NASDAQ exchange andcriticism that the IPO was priced too high.
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 3UK police investigated over alleged child sex abuse cover-up involving former Prime Minister
- 4Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 5Italy arrests mafia suspects after cracking ‘sheep code’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
Talks on Ukraine take place despite escalation in fighting
Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
Wires > News
- 06:52 CET Pakistan hangs man lawyers say was a child when charged with murder
- 06:06 CET Japan A-bomb survivors speak out against nuclear power, decry…
- 05:12 CET China’s foreign minister to visit Ebola-affected countries
- 04:10 CET Blast in Korean DMZ wounds two South Korean soldiers – military
- 03:59 CET Illegal immigration a dominant theme at Republican forum even…
- 03:52 CET Obama administration faces criticism over human trafficking report
- 23:49 CET Russia says U.S. strikes on Syrian army would harm fight against…
- 23:35 CET Sudan says Bashir plans to speak at U.N. summit in New York