This is the third Turkish border crossing to fall under the control of Syrian rebel fighters, after a fierce gun battle during which two Turkish civilans are reported to have been wounded inside Turkey.
It is estimated that 300 Syrians have already crossed into Turkey via this gate, where there are upwards of 83,000 Syrian refugees. Men crossed the border in the other direction carrying bottled water to give to the rebels.
On the Syrian side of the frontier, unverified amateur footage is said to show the bodies of Syrian pro-government soldiers apparently killed in the battle for the border post. The man who took the footage can be heard saying “This is a live picture from the battleground fought by the heroes of Qadissiya brigade.”
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 11:06 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border -…
- 10:08 CET Gunmen kidnap two Pakistani U.N. staff members from Karachi
- 08:59 CET Search resumes after Everest’s worst climbing tragedy
- 01:35 CET Nigeria Islamists still holding 85 schoolgirls after raid- state
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election