Real Madrid came from behind twice and then Cristiano Ronaldo struck on the 90th minute to hand the Spaniards a 3-2 win over Manchester City in their opening Champions league Group D tie at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday.
In a thrilling second half to the encounter City stunned the Bernabeu when substitute Edin Dzeko raced clear to make it 1-0 in the 69th minute before Marcelo equalised eight minutes later with a deflected curling effort. City were ahead again five minutes from time when Real goalkeeper Iker Casillas failed to deal with Aleksandar Kolarov’s inswinging free kick.
Substitute Karim Benzema made it 2-2 in the 87th minute with a low shot that sneaked inside the post before Ronaldo cut in from the left and drilled his powerful low drive into the net off goalkeeper Joe Hart
to send the crowd into raptures.
Meanwhile Robert Lewandowski scored late on to hand German champions Borussia Dortmund a one nil win over Ajax.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Alex and Javier Pastore were all on target as Paris Saint Germain thrashed Kiev 4-1 in their return to the competition after an eight year absence in Group A. 2004 champions Porto also got off to a winning start with a two nil victory over Dinamo Zagreb.
Lukas Podolski and Gervinho responded quickly to Younes Belhanda’s opener as Arsenal beat French first division champions Montpellier. Elsewhere in Group B Klaas-Jan Huntelaar scored the winner as Schalke overcame the Greeks of Olympiakos.
Seven-times European champions AC Milan were held to a goalless stalemate at home by Anderlecht in Group C as Malaga beat Zenit St Petersburg.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 11:16 CET Olympic champion Farah pulls out of Commonweatlh Games
- 11:02 CET England’s early World Cup exit hits UK pub operators
- 10:05 CET White’s influence writ large on Super Rugby semis
- 08:59 CET ICC rejects 2018 offer, cricket stays out of Commonwealth Games
- 08:05 CET South Korea fall back on TV pundit to pick next coach
- 06:48 CET Bolt says his best is yet to come
- 06:35 CET Brumbies unchanged for Sydney semi against Waratahs
- 04:30 CET Malaysian gets Commonwealth reprieve after jacket found