Real Madrid came from behind twice and then Cristiano Ronaldo struck on the 90th minute to hand the Spaniards a 3-2 win over Manchester City in their opening Champions league Group D tie at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday.
In a thrilling second half to the encounter City stunned the Bernabeu when substitute Edin Dzeko raced clear to make it 1-0 in the 69th minute before Marcelo equalised eight minutes later with a deflected curling effort. City were ahead again five minutes from time when Real goalkeeper Iker Casillas failed to deal with Aleksandar Kolarov’s inswinging free kick.
Substitute Karim Benzema made it 2-2 in the 87th minute with a low shot that sneaked inside the post before Ronaldo cut in from the left and drilled his powerful low drive into the net off goalkeeper Joe Hart
to send the crowd into raptures.
Meanwhile Robert Lewandowski scored late on to hand German champions Borussia Dortmund a one nil win over Ajax.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Thiago Silva, Alex and Javier Pastore were all on target as Paris Saint Germain thrashed Kiev 4-1 in their return to the competition after an eight year absence in Group A. 2004 champions Porto also got off to a winning start with a two nil victory over Dinamo Zagreb.
Lukas Podolski and Gervinho responded quickly to Younes Belhanda’s opener as Arsenal beat French first division champions Montpellier. Elsewhere in Group B Klaas-Jan Huntelaar scored the winner as Schalke overcame the Greeks of Olympiakos.
Seven-times European champions AC Milan were held to a goalless stalemate at home by Anderlecht in Group C as Malaga beat Zenit St Petersburg.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
- 3Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
- 4World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
- 5Coe under renewed scrutiny over decision to award Eugene 2021 world championships
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Penn State begin historic baseball tour in Cuba
Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
Wires > Sport
- 18:46 CET IAAF Party falls flat as doping dominates agenda
- 18:34 CET Benfica bounce back to draw 2-2 with Astana
- 17:19 CET Sturridge could return for Liverpool
- 16:51 CET African team awarded World Tour licence
- 16:29 CET Scotland captain Brown may be out for three months
- 16:27 CET Jaguars back in London for fourth year running in 2016
- 16:08 CET New European Tour season tees off in African bushveld
- 15:26 CET Belgium need baby-faced Goffin to come of age