The Arctic in January shown in computer animation reveals how the ice shrinks as spring arrives, then dramatically disappears after May.
But the Arctic’s average ice cover from 1979-2000 is a lot smaller today.
This summer the Arctic ice sheet has retreated far further than expected, leaving far less ice cover than forecast.
Now one of the world’s leading experts has predicted the Arctic sea ice will totally collapse in the summer months as early as 2016.
Professor Peter Wadham of Cambridge University first predicted the demise of Arctic ice back in 2007, when it hit its previously smallest extent.
This year it is another half a million square kilometres smaller, and Wadham says this is proof we must intensify our efforts to prevent global warming or risk a “global disaster” in the northern latitudes.
Submarine data shows the ice has lost 40% of its thickness since 1980, and Wadham warns a collapse of the Arctic ice sheet would release vast quantities of methane from the submarine permafrost, driving global warming even faster.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 5‘Misleading at best and flat out wrong at worst’ US reacts to Greenpeace TTIP leak
Latest world news
Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
Reckitt Benckiser apologises over South Korea deadly disinfectant
US cruise ship docks in Havana over 40 years since the last sailed the Florida Straits
Wires > News
- 01:41 CET Brazil prosecutor asks for probe of opposition leader Neves
- 01:20 CET Emotional return as first U.S. cruise in decades reaches Cuba
- 00:30 CET Obama says Chinese-led trade deal shows need for TPP – Washington…
- 00:29 CET U.S. says Iraq’s PM in ‘strong position’ amid political unrest
- 00:24 CET NATO weighs four battalions in Eastern states to deter Russia -…
- 00:17 CET Argentine court probes ex-president Fernandez over new case – media
- 23:04 CET U.S. tells Pakistan it will have to fund F-16s itself
- 22:14 CET Leader of Canada’s separatist Parti Quebecois steps down