The Arctic in January shown in computer animation reveals how the ice shrinks as spring arrives, then dramatically disappears after May.
But the Arctic’s average ice cover from 1979-2000 is a lot smaller today.
This summer the Arctic ice sheet has retreated far further than expected, leaving far less ice cover than forecast.
Now one of the world’s leading experts has predicted the Arctic sea ice will totally collapse in the summer months as early as 2016.
Professor Peter Wadham of Cambridge University first predicted the demise of Arctic ice back in 2007, when it hit its previously smallest extent.
This year it is another half a million square kilometres smaller, and Wadham says this is proof we must intensify our efforts to prevent global warming or risk a “global disaster” in the northern latitudes.
Submarine data shows the ice has lost 40% of its thickness since 1980, and Wadham warns a collapse of the Arctic ice sheet would release vast quantities of methane from the submarine permafrost, driving global warming even faster.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 22:36 CET Vandals deface Pope John Paul II memorial before canonisation
- 22:24 CET Car bomb kills four in Kenyan capital
- 22:03 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 22:02 CET Three charged in plot to ship chemical lab equipment from U.S. to…
- 21:55 CET Turkey’s Erdogan offers condolences for 1915 killings of Armenians
- 21:40 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 21:28 CET U.S. Western Sahara draft urges respecting human rights, no …
- 21:02 CET New law to lure investors to Egypt could feed corruption, critics…