The Arctic in January shown in computer animation reveals how the ice shrinks as spring arrives, then dramatically disappears after May.
But the Arctic’s average ice cover from 1979-2000 is a lot smaller today.
This summer the Arctic ice sheet has retreated far further than expected, leaving far less ice cover than forecast.
Now one of the world’s leading experts has predicted the Arctic sea ice will totally collapse in the summer months as early as 2016.
Professor Peter Wadham of Cambridge University first predicted the demise of Arctic ice back in 2007, when it hit its previously smallest extent.
This year it is another half a million square kilometres smaller, and Wadham says this is proof we must intensify our efforts to prevent global warming or risk a “global disaster” in the northern latitudes.
Submarine data shows the ice has lost 40% of its thickness since 1980, and Wadham warns a collapse of the Arctic ice sheet would release vast quantities of methane from the submarine permafrost, driving global warming even faster.
- 1Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3Armenia remembers the victims of 1915 massacre
- 4No more aid till ‘big, big problems’ solved, Eurogroup tells Greece
- 5Friendship and reconciliation replace conflict at Gallipoli centenary
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 14:50 CET Devastating Nepal earthquake kills hundreds, triggers deadly…
- 14:35 CET Car bombs hit Iraq-Jordan border crossing at Tureibil, killing four
- 14:28 CET Syria’s former spy chief dies in unclear circumstances – source
- 14:15 CET Togo votes in delayed presidential election
- 14:12 CET French convict not in next round of Indonesia executions – embassy…
- 14:05 CET Burundi ruling party nominates president for third term, risking…
- 13:06 CET Iran moves ships, reducing tensions near Yemen – Pentagon’s Carter
- 12:59 CET Pakistani security agencies to investigate activist’s murder