Embedded with the Free Syrian Army, euronews’ reporter in Aleppo, Farouk Atig, secured an exclusive interview with one of the three FSA leaders in the region.
The 32-year-old former trader now claims to lead a brigade of 6,000 men. Despite heavy losses recently he says they have not been weakened:
“No no, we are not weak, on the contrary we are stronger than before. Currently, we are stronger than before. The soldiers of Assad’s army are reduced and demoralised. They are incapable of fighting on more than one front.”
Our correspondent asked if there were many foreign combatants among their ranks.
“Speaking of the Ettawhid brigade, I have never had a non-Syrian fighter. Regarding the other brigades, maybe Arab fighters are among them, but not so many. We thank them for that, but we do not need any more soldiers, we need weapons.”
He says the only weapons they have are those which have been captured from the enemy.
- 1YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 2Dutch PM calls on Russia to cooperate with MH17 probe
- 3Three Israelis killed in Jerusalem in day of violence
- 4Brussels wants Hungary’s answers over migrants crackdown
- 5Six-hundred-year-old Henry V warship ‘found in English river’
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 03:58 CET Rousseff accuses Brazil opposition of ‘coup-mongering’
- 02:52 CET Chile fires starting gun on new constitution
- 02:25 CET Kerry to visit Mideast in bid to calm Palestinian-Israeli tensions
- 02:20 CET Search in Guatemala landslide ends with 280 dead, 70 missing
- 00:33 CET Syria’s army, allies plan offensive against insurgents in Aleppo
- 00:20 CET Blasts in northeast Nigeria’s Maiduguri kill at least seven – Red…
- 00:05 CET U.S., Australia rebuff China over South China Sea
- 23:36 CET Exclusive – Syrian army, allies preparing attack in Aleppo area…