17/09/12 22:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Amateur video has emerged showing the US ambassador to Libya in the moments just after the attack that killed him.
In the footage, a still-alive Chris Stevens is found and carried out of the Benghazi consulate complex on Tuesday night.
Those who tried to rescue him and carry him to safety can be heard on the video exclaiming ‘God is great’ after they realise Stevens is not dead.
Eyewitnesses report finding a pulse and trying to save the ambassador’s life, even though they did not know exactly who was at the time.
“I saw him (Stevens) alive. We said ‘yes, he is alive’. He was moving his eyes, he was staring at us. We didn’t recognise him as the ambassador. We thought he was a foreigner, and as a foreigner and we have to take care of him,” recalled Fahd al-Bakoush, a freelance videographer who shot the footage.
Stevens was one of four American diplomats killed at the US consulate in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi.
An investigation is looking into whether they died in violence sparked by a film that has angered Muslims or if there was a planned attack carried out by terrorists.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source
- 12:02 CET Two car bombs kill at least eight in southern Iraq – police sources
- 11:47 CET EU set to drive forward visas for Turks in migrant deal
- 10:26 CET Yemen’s Houthis seize military base, endangering peace talks
- 09:17 CET Three Turkish soldiers killed, 14 others wounded in PKK attack in…