Amateur video has emerged showing the US ambassador to Libya in the moments just after the attack that killed him.
In the footage, a still-alive Chris Stevens is found and carried out of the Benghazi consulate complex on Tuesday night.
Those who tried to rescue him and carry him to safety can be heard on the video exclaiming ‘God is great’ after they realise Stevens is not dead.
Eyewitnesses report finding a pulse and trying to save the ambassador’s life, even though they did not know exactly who was at the time.
“I saw him (Stevens) alive. We said ‘yes, he is alive’. He was moving his eyes, he was staring at us. We didn’t recognise him as the ambassador. We thought he was a foreigner, and as a foreigner and we have to take care of him,” recalled Fahd al-Bakoush, a freelance videographer who shot the footage.
Stevens was one of four American diplomats killed at the US consulate in Libya’s eastern city of Benghazi.
An investigation is looking into whether they died in violence sparked by a film that has angered Muslims or if there was a planned attack carried out by terrorists.
- 1Hungary summons French ambassador over border fence row
- 2Protesters angry over destruction of ‘Mephistopheles’ in St Petersburg
- 3Ukraine: angry clashes as bill adopted granting more autonomy in the east
- 4French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius slams Hungary’s ‘migrant fence’
- 5Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 03:58 CET Brazil convicts Odebrecht Group for slavery-like practices in…
- 03:13 CET Obama pushes for more U.S. ice-breaking might in Arctic
- 03:02 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.
- 03:00 CET At least five dead from Monday’s chemical plant blast in China -…
- 23:49 CET Pope to allow all priests to forgive abortion during Holy Year
- 23:07 CET U.S. drone kills six suspected militants in Pakistan
- 23:02 CET Western-backed Syrian rebels say kill foreign Islamic State…
- 23:00 CET Cameroon involved in Central Africa ‘blood diamond’ trade – …