A military court Gaza convicted four Islamist extremists on Monday of kidnapping and murdering Italian peace activist Vittorio Arrigoni.
Mahmud Al-Salfiti and Tamer Al-Husasna were jailed for life. Another defendant, Khadr Faruk Jerim, was handed ten years.
The three were members of the security services in the Hamas-ruled enclave and the court ordered that they be dismissed from their jobs.
Judges also handed a fourth hardliner, Amer Abu Ghola, a one-year prison sentence for providing the house where Arrigoni was hanged.
He was snatched on April 14th last year by a previously unknown Salafist jihadist group, Tawhid wal Jihad.
Shortly after his kidnapping, Arrigoni’s captors posted a video online threatening to kill him within 30 hours unless Hamas released a number of jihadist prisoners.
Arrigoni was found dead ahead of that deadline.
The 36-year-old was a member of the pro-Palestinian group, International Solidarity Movement.
He had lived and worked in Gaza for three years prior to his death.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 00:54 CET Sudanese Salafi group endorses Islamic State’s new caliphate
- 00:23 CET At least 15 killed by shelling of Gaza school; toll exceeds 760
- 00:19 CET Rival Libyan militias clash in Tripoli, Benghazi
- 23:41 CET Mali, northern rebels agree on ‘roadmap’ for peace talks
- 23:28 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 23:12 CET Peres steps down as Israeli president, sees peace ‘one day’
- 23:09 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 22:47 CET U.N. panel tells Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’