A military court Gaza convicted four Islamist extremists on Monday of kidnapping and murdering Italian peace activist Vittorio Arrigoni.
Mahmud Al-Salfiti and Tamer Al-Husasna were jailed for life. Another defendant, Khadr Faruk Jerim, was handed ten years.
The three were members of the security services in the Hamas-ruled enclave and the court ordered that they be dismissed from their jobs.
Judges also handed a fourth hardliner, Amer Abu Ghola, a one-year prison sentence for providing the house where Arrigoni was hanged.
He was snatched on April 14th last year by a previously unknown Salafist jihadist group, Tawhid wal Jihad.
Shortly after his kidnapping, Arrigoni’s captors posted a video online threatening to kill him within 30 hours unless Hamas released a number of jihadist prisoners.
Arrigoni was found dead ahead of that deadline.
The 36-year-old was a member of the pro-Palestinian group, International Solidarity Movement.
He had lived and worked in Gaza for three years prior to his death.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 6India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 7What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
Wires > News
- 00:27 CET Cuban migrants head off from Caymans, bound for Honduras
- 00:22 CET Lawyer for bin Laden son-in-law gets 1-1/2 years prison in tax case
- 00:18 CET U.N. calls for credible Myanmar election, minority protection
- 23:42 CET United Nations members resolve to end child marriage
- 23:23 CET U.S., Iran discussing new ideas to break nuclear impasse – sources
- 23:16 CET Banker to be named Brazil finance minister – newspapers
- 23:14 CET Grappling with protests, Mexico president urges swift judicial…
- 22:57 CET Accused Colombia rebel extradited to U.S. to face hostage-taking…