17/09/12 16:44 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
A military court Gaza convicted four Islamist extremists on Monday of kidnapping and murdering Italian peace activist Vittorio Arrigoni.
Mahmud Al-Salfiti and Tamer Al-Husasna were jailed for life. Another defendant, Khadr Faruk Jerim, was handed ten years.
The three were members of the security services in the Hamas-ruled enclave and the court ordered that they be dismissed from their jobs.
Judges also handed a fourth hardliner, Amer Abu Ghola, a one-year prison sentence for providing the house where Arrigoni was hanged.
He was snatched on April 14th last year by a previously unknown Salafist jihadist group, Tawhid wal Jihad.
Shortly after his kidnapping, Arrigoni’s captors posted a video online threatening to kill him within 30 hours unless Hamas released a number of jihadist prisoners.
Arrigoni was found dead ahead of that deadline.
The 36-year-old was a member of the pro-Palestinian group, International Solidarity Movement.
He had lived and worked in Gaza for three years prior to his death.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 3Two Koreas, two reactions after illegal rocket launch
- 4Spanish police smash ISIL terror cell in three cities
- 5More problems at FYROM-Greek border slows refugees’ journey north
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 6Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 7Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 8Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Partnering to grow Europe
- 11Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 12Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 13Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17smart care - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
Latest world news
Spanish police smash ISIL terror cell in three cities
Algeria enacts reforms and gives Berber language official status
Filmed bus stunt causes mini-panic in London
Former Foreign Legion commander arrested at anti-foreigner protest
‘The Revenant’ director Inarritu scoops DGA award, as Oscars near
Wires > News
- 04:18 CET Chinese, Indian border troops hold joint disaster drills
- 03:53 CET North Korean patrol boat crosses to South, retreats after warning…
- 02:40 CET To protect Chinese investment, Pakistan military leaves little to…
- 22:38 CET Hollande, Merkel stress migrant crisis needs EU solution
- 20:50 CET Chilean alleges sex abuse cover-up, asks pope to sack bishop
- 20:23 CET Iran-backed militia warns against sending Arab forces to Syria…
- 19:41 CET U.N. rights chief meets families of Sri Lanka’s war victims
- 19:28 CET Carnival roars ahead in Brazil despite Zika health scare