A military court Gaza convicted four Islamist extremists on Monday of kidnapping and murdering Italian peace activist Vittorio Arrigoni.
Mahmud Al-Salfiti and Tamer Al-Husasna were jailed for life. Another defendant, Khadr Faruk Jerim, was handed ten years.
The three were members of the security services in the Hamas-ruled enclave and the court ordered that they be dismissed from their jobs.
Judges also handed a fourth hardliner, Amer Abu Ghola, a one-year prison sentence for providing the house where Arrigoni was hanged.
He was snatched on April 14th last year by a previously unknown Salafist jihadist group, Tawhid wal Jihad.
Shortly after his kidnapping, Arrigoni’s captors posted a video online threatening to kill him within 30 hours unless Hamas released a number of jihadist prisoners.
Arrigoni was found dead ahead of that deadline.
The 36-year-old was a member of the pro-Palestinian group, International Solidarity Movement.
He had lived and worked in Gaza for three years prior to his death.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:52 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 03:48 CET Botswana president’s party secures election victory
- 02:17 CET Washington state teen shooter’s family living in ‘nightmare’
- 02:06 CET Tunisians vote for new parliament, hope for full democracy
- 23:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 23:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 22:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 21:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO