A military court Gaza convicted four Islamist extremists on Monday of kidnapping and murdering Italian peace activist Vittorio Arrigoni.
Mahmud Al-Salfiti and Tamer Al-Husasna were jailed for life. Another defendant, Khadr Faruk Jerim, was handed ten years.
The three were members of the security services in the Hamas-ruled enclave and the court ordered that they be dismissed from their jobs.
Judges also handed a fourth hardliner, Amer Abu Ghola, a one-year prison sentence for providing the house where Arrigoni was hanged.
He was snatched on April 14th last year by a previously unknown Salafist jihadist group, Tawhid wal Jihad.
Shortly after his kidnapping, Arrigoni’s captors posted a video online threatening to kill him within 30 hours unless Hamas released a number of jihadist prisoners.
Arrigoni was found dead ahead of that deadline.
The 36-year-old was a member of the pro-Palestinian group, International Solidarity Movement.
He had lived and worked in Gaza for three years prior to his death.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1USA: Los Angeles police shoot homeless man dead
- 2Memorial march: “My hope for Russia has died with the death of Boris Nemtsov”
- 3EU call for unity as Spain and Portugal enter war of words with Greece
- 4Estonia votes in election amid concerns over Russia
- 5Skydiver has lucky escape after seizure at 9,000 feet
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 3eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 4English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 9Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 10Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 11Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 12European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 15Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 16euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 17Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 18Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:09 CET FBI investigating reported shots near U.S. spy agency headquarters
- 02:26 CET U.S. House breaks impasse, passes security funding without…
- 01:20 CET Colombia detains China-flagged ship for illegal arms transport
- 01:19 CET Western leaders hint at more Russian sanctions over Ukraine
- 23:22 CET Ex-CIA chief Petraeus to plead guilty, admits giving mistress…
- 23:03 CET U.S. to respond to Venezuela’s demand to cut U.S. Embassy staff
- 22:33 CET Brazilian judge orders deportation of fugitive Italian leftist
- 22:29 CET Fugitive ex-NSA contractor Snowden seeks to come home – lawyer