Israel’s prime minister has claimed that Iran will be on the brink of building a nuclear weapon in just six or seven months.
Benjamin Netanyahu went on American TV to press home directly his belief that the US must set clear limits beyond which Iran must not go if it is to avoid military action.
On NBC’s Meet the Press, he said “I think that as they (Iran) get closer and closer and closer to the achievement of weapons grade material – they’re very close, they’re six months away from being about ninety percent of having the enriched uranium for an atom bomb – I think you have to place that red line before them now, before it’s too late.”
While Israel and the US play out a very public spat over how much time to give Iran, senior Israeli defence official Amos Gilad gave a strong signal that there would be no unilateral military action against Tehran.
Iran has always denied western suspicions that its nuclear programme is aimed at making weapons. Tehran has always maintained it is only for making energy or medical isotopes.
Nevertheless just last week the International Atomic Energy Agency censured Iran for ignoring international calls to rein in its uranium enrichment programme, and failing to address mounting concern about its suspected weapons research.
Latest world news
World Anti-Doping Agency suspends Rio drug testing laboratory
Pope Francis says ‘never again’ to Armenians massacred in WWI
Obama stands by ‘back of queue’ warning on post-Brexit UK trade deal
Scotland, London and teenagers speak out against Brexit
Venezuela: opposition says it is on track to organise recall referendum
Wires > News
- 14:12 CET After Islamist attacks, Tunisia’s tourism struggles
- 14:02 CET Merkel no hurry for Britain to trigger EU exit process
- 13:25 CET Tsipras blames Brexit on austerity, deficiencies in EU leadership
- 13:10 CET Turkey detains 28 people over alleged financial links to cleric…
- 13:06 CET France wants quick British divorce from EU, Germany cautious
- 12:57 CET Founding EU members urge Britain to get on with EU divorce
- 11:24 CET Palestinian leader retracts rabbis water poisoning allegation
- 10:46 CET China says has stopped communication mechanism with Taiwan