Al-Qaeda has said the death of its second-in-command, Abu Yahya al-Libi has been avenged by the killing of the US ambassador to Libya earlier this week.
Al-Libi was killed in June of this year in Pakistan.
A communique by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula based in Yemen came as Libya’s interim president Mohammed el-Megarif told a French news agency that foreign elements had been implicated in the attack on the US consulate in Benghazi on Tuesday.
Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other embassy staff died in the initial violent reaction to a film made in America that many Muslims believe severely insults the prophet Mohammad.
President Obama was there when the bodies arrived home.
In a TV address afterwards he said: “As we mourn their loss, we must also send a clear and resolute message to the world: those who attack our people will find no escape from justice. We will not waver in their pursuit. And we will never allow anyone to shake the resolve of the United States of America.”
Obama said Stevens died a hero in a country that he helped to save.
The president rejected any denigration of Islam, but said there was no excuse for attacking US embassies and consulates.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Wires > News
- 14:05 CET New security at Brussels Airport causes delays, missed flights
- 14:02 CET U.S. targets Islamic State in Mosul, other cities in Iraq, Syria
- 13:59 CET Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under…
- 13:51 CET Islamic State forces kill U.S. armed forces member in Iraq
- 13:29 CET Baby pulled out alive three days after collapse of Kenya building
- 13:18 CET Fists fly as Sri Lankan MPs protest changing of the guard for…
- 13:17 CET Rebel shelling kills at least 19 in Aleppo – Observatory
- 13:07 CET Hungary plans to hold migrant quota referendum in September or…