14/09/12 16:54 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
More protests were held across the Muslim world on Friday against the film made in the United States that criticises the Prophet Muhammad.
The Muslim Brotherhood cancelled planned rallies across Egypt, opting instead for a smaller demonstration at Cairo’s Tahrir Square.
Security remains tight outside the US embassy in the city. A concrete barrier has been erected around the building to ward off further attacks.
Nasser, a Cairo resident, deplored the violence that the film has sparked.
“We have other ways to protest. We shouldn’t have burnt the police cars. We shouldn’t destroy our property and waste our own money like that,” he said.
Demonstrations were also held in San’aa, the capital of Yemen.
The country’s government has long been an ally of the US in its fight against Al-Qaeda in the region.
One local man said: “We want to defend our Prophet but also denounce America for not even punishing those behind this anti-Islamic film.”
Sunni and Shia Muslims jointly staged a peaceful march in Iraq’s southern city of Basra against the movie.
But media reports said crowds at similar rallies in Baghdad and Najaf burnt the Stars and Stripes and shouted anti-American slogans.
Latest world news
Ex-Chad president sentenced to life in prison for crimes against humanity
German weekend football dominated by AfD chief’s ‘racist’ Boateng comment
Germany: Storm leaves several dead including teenage girl and firefighter
Mexican footballer Alan Pulido ‘very well’ after kidnap ordeal ends
Washington pays tribute to US military casualties at Memorial Day concert
Wires > News
- 13:45 CET Philippine troops kill 54 Islamist militants in the south
- 13:44 CET Germany plans draft law on nuclear storage costs in August
- 13:43 CET Brazil’s anti-corruption minister criticizes Petrobras probe -…
- 13:36 CET China protests to Indonesia over seizure of fishing vessel
- 13:33 CET Japan puts military on alert for possible North Korea missile…
- 13:33 CET Suspected al Shabaab fighters kill 3 village elders in Kenya -…
- 13:32 CET German police hold flights at Cologne-Bonn airport over security…
- 13:27 CET Chinese worker wounded in Pakistani bomb attack