Dutch voters go to the polls today in an election that has been heavily influenced by how to deal with the eurozone’s debt crisis.
With a close race predicted, it is not a foregone conclusion that Liberal Party leader Mark Rutte will remain prime minister.
The centre-right politicians’ austerity measures caused the last coalition government to collapse.
This time Rutte’s talking about investing in infrastructure, alongside reducing the deficit.
However, he is also being accused of becoming more eurosceptic in a bid to woo right-wing voters.
Labour leader Diederick Samsom has an even chance of winning, with proposals for increasing spending and creating jobs.
Neither Samsom nor Rutte would be likely to worry German Chancellor Angela Merkel with regard to her approach on how to deal with the crisis, according to political analyst Adriaan Schout fromn the Clingendael Institute.
“The Dutch, and particularly Rutte, have always been pushing Merkel a little bit to the right. That game might change a little bit after the election but not too much, because even with Samsom, the Netherlands is not becoming like (French President Francois) Hollande, so we will remain very close to the Merkel line,” he said.
Influential leader of the Freedom Party Geert Wilders, who brought down the last administration by not supporting Rutte, continues to attack the EU for chipping away Dutch sovereignty.
His anti-Islamic, eurosceptic party is predicted to lose five seats, but this may not happen as many people do not admit to voting for his party.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Wires > News
- 21:26 CET Scioli maintains lead in Argentina presidential race – poll
- 21:22 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -…
- 21:20 CET Venezuela troops occupy Polar food distribution warehouses
- 20:40 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 20:38 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 20:36 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 20:18 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride parade, wounding…
- 20:13 CET U.S., allies conduct 22 air strikes in Iraq against Islamic State…