We are all in this together – not as an all-engulfing single entity, but as separate, democratic parts working towards a common goal.
That is one of the clear messages coming from EU Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso during his ‘state of the union’ speech in the European Parliament in Strasbourg.
“The present European Union must evolve. Let’s not be afraid of the word. We will need to move towards a federation of nation states. This is what we need. Not a superstate. A democratic federation of nation states that can tackle our common problems through the sharing of sovereignity in a way that each country and each citizen are better equipped to control their destiny,” said Barroso during his address.
Barroso also underlined the importance of the single currency, mentioning the “irreversibility of the euro”.
He went on to say the stronger eurozone members have to show their willingness to stick with the euro, and the weaker members will have to show their willingness to reform.
- 1‘Rampant corruption:’ US orders arrest of senior FIFA executives
- 2Obama denounces Russia’s ‘increasingly aggressive posture’ on Ukraine
- 3Bunny beaten to death live on Danish radio
- 4Chancellor Merkel heads Forbes most powerful women list – again!
- 5Swiss police arrest several senior Fifa executives in a morning raid at a five-star hotel in Zurich
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 18Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 19How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 20Recharging without cables: the road ahead for electric cars
Wires > News
- 23:26 CET Pentagon chief urges end to island-building in South China Sea
- 23:04 CET Insight – All at sea: Australia’s search for MH370 under scrutiny
- 22:48 CET France warns Iran over nuclear deal as deadline nears
- 22:48 CET Leader of al Qaeda in Syria says aims to take Damascus – TV
- 22:06 CET For Kremlin, a charity teaching science to kids is viewed as…
- 21:20 CET Belgian flights halted after air traffic power fault
- 21:17 CET Blair to leave Middle East envoy post after years of struggling…
- 21:12 CET Saudi designates two Hezbollah officials as terrorists