More than 10 percent of child victims rescued after being trafficked into the UK for forced prostitution or other forms of criminal exploitation later go missing, a damning new report says.
The research, carried out for the Council of Europe by GRETA, found a lack of secure accommodation was often to blame.
The report’s authors say many victims can often find themselves back with their traffickers.
Co-author Jan van Dijk said: ‘‘The most serious short coming we find is that quite a high percentage of all child victims that are in the system, that are identified as victims of trafficking, go missing some where later during the process. And we have every reason to suspect that these child victims of trafficking are still under the control of the sex industry and are being re-trafficked.’‘
The UK’s low conviction rate of child traffickers was also heavily criticised by the report’s authors.
In addition to sexual exploitation, many victims were found to have been smuggled into Britain for domestic servitude, benefit fraud or forced criminality such as begging.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 14Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 15Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 16Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 17Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 18Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
- 19Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union