More than 10 percent of child victims rescued after being trafficked into the UK for forced prostitution or other forms of criminal exploitation later go missing, a damning new report says.
The research, carried out for the Council of Europe by GRETA, found a lack of secure accommodation was often to blame.
The report’s authors say many victims can often find themselves back with their traffickers.
Co-author Jan van Dijk said: ‘‘The most serious short coming we find is that quite a high percentage of all child victims that are in the system, that are identified as victims of trafficking, go missing some where later during the process. And we have every reason to suspect that these child victims of trafficking are still under the control of the sex industry and are being re-trafficked.’‘
The UK’s low conviction rate of child traffickers was also heavily criticised by the report’s authors.
In addition to sexual exploitation, many victims were found to have been smuggled into Britain for domestic servitude, benefit fraud or forced criminality such as begging.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news