Spanish Premier Mariano Rajoy has said he expects reasonable conditions to be set by the European Union should the country request a bailout.
In his first television interview since winning power nine months ago, Rajoy added no decision over further financial help had yet been made but went on to pledge pensions in any case would not be touched.
“I am not going to announce what are the red lines. What I believe is that we need to cut the public deficit, it is our commitment, it is the most important challenge and the most basic obligation that we have as a country for the next few years. I would not like and I would not accept being told in what policy areas we have to make or not make cuts. I believe that Spain needs to cut its public deficit like France and other European countries,” said Prime Minister Rajoy.
Rajoy has already pushed through billions of euros of austerity measures including raising VAT on school equipment sparking pupil and parent protests.
Spain has already received up to 100 billion euros to shore up its ailing banks. A decision over an expected further bailout request could come next week.
- 1Lufthansa fears second Germanwings black box may never be found
- 2Germanwings crash: Co-pilot Lubitz had ‘suicidal tendencies’
- 3Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 4Unconfirmed reports and speculation mount over Germanwings crash
- 5Yemen: Air strike kills at least 40 people at camp, say aid workers
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 02:10 CET Children’s lives at stake as donors meet for Syria summit – aid…
- 02:02 CET One million green jobs projected by 2030 in China, EU and U.S. -…
- 02:00 CET U.S. supports, would cooperate with proposed Arab force – Carter
- 01:21 CET Libyan oil guards demand state firm to reopen the two biggest oil…
- 00:19 CET One dead, two hurt as vehicle tries to ram U.S. spy agency gates
- 23:52 CET Canada-based Iranian filmmaker ‘in good shape’ in Evin prison
- 23:47 CET Exclusive – Pentagon chief sends military wish lists to Congress…
- 22:22 CET Crash pilot had been treated for suicidal tendencies