Members of Greece’s extreme-right Golden Dawn party are under investigation for posing as police.
It comes after the emergence of a video which appears to show the group’s supporters in the town of Rafina, near Athens, asking to see migrant vendors’ residence papers.
Shortly afterwards another group is seen kicking over one of the stalls and smashing up merchandise.
One of the party’s MPs, George Germenis, justified the action: “We took a walk around the bazaar and listened to the problems of small goods sellers here and we noticed some illegal immigrants trying to sell their stuff without the appropriate licenses. We told the police and then we did what Golden Dawn must do.”
The Greek public order minister, Nikos Dentias, has made clear he will not tolerate any “usurpation of authority.”
Greece’s two Golden Dawn MPs now face having their parliamentary immunity lifted.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court
- 19:17 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 19:17 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 19:02 CET Mega salaries are evil, papal preacher tells Good Friday service
- 18:45 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 18:44 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika wins re-election with 81.5 percent – official…