A group of several hundred people, mainly Jews but also including Muslims and Christians, has demonstrated in Berlin for the right to circumcise.
The rally was supported by more than 50 organisations and institutions. It comes at a time of heated debate in Germany following a June court ruling in Cologne that the practice was “unlawful bodily harm”.
Although it only applies in a small area, German doctors scrambled to halt operations nationwide.
“The federal German government must introduce a law which will result in circumcisions remaining exempt from punishment,” said the head of Germany’s Turkish community Kenan Kolat.
The Social Democrat vice president was present to promise he would help find a legal solution.
“We’re getting sick and tired of all the heated and incompetent gibberish on circumcisions. We’ve had it up to here. So today, we want to clarify a few things through our rabbi and maybe Kenan Kolat what circumcision really is and what circumcision means to our religion,” said the former head of Berlin’s Jewish community Lala Süsskind.
The issue is a complex one for historical, cultural and religious reasons, but also as it touches on child welfare and health issues.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal
- 3Britain launches air strikes against ISIL targets in Iraq
- 4Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him
- 5Catalan authorities temporarily suspend formal campaigning for independence vote
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 5Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 6Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 11Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 12Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 13EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 14Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 15Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 18British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 19Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 20The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
Wires > News
- 03:21 CET Mexico conservative opposition leader Madero stands down – PAN
- 02:59 CET Traveller from Liberia is first Ebola patient diagnosed in U.S.
- 01:46 CET Brazil’s Rousseff widens lead over Silva in fresh polls
- 01:08 CET In al Qaeda attack, lines between Pakistan military, militants blur
- 23:23 CET Avalanche in southern Chile kills Canadian, Swedish climbers
- 23:21 CET Indonesia’s Widodo manages hopes as hostile parliament convenes
- 23:06 CET U.S. warns South Sudan: Strike a peace deal or face U.N. sanctions
- 22:27 CET Catalonia suspends formal campaign on Spain independence vote