A group of several hundred people, mainly Jews but also including Muslims and Christians, has demonstrated in Berlin for the right to circumcise.
The rally was supported by more than 50 organisations and institutions. It comes at a time of heated debate in Germany following a June court ruling in Cologne that the practice was “unlawful bodily harm”.
Although it only applies in a small area, German doctors scrambled to halt operations nationwide.
“The federal German government must introduce a law which will result in circumcisions remaining exempt from punishment,” said the head of Germany’s Turkish community Kenan Kolat.
The Social Democrat vice president was present to promise he would help find a legal solution.
“We’re getting sick and tired of all the heated and incompetent gibberish on circumcisions. We’ve had it up to here. So today, we want to clarify a few things through our rabbi and maybe Kenan Kolat what circumcision really is and what circumcision means to our religion,” said the former head of Berlin’s Jewish community Lala Süsskind.
The issue is a complex one for historical, cultural and religious reasons, but also as it touches on child welfare and health issues.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different?
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 19World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 19:54 CET Russians seethe over Western snub of war anniversary parade
- 19:49 CET Burundi tells foreign envoys to stay neutral over unrest
- 19:47 CET Saudi-led planes bomb Sanaa airport to stop Iranian plane landing
- 19:42 CET Drug convicts executed in Indonesia, Filipina not among them -…
- 19:36 CET More than 150 rescued from burning ferry off Spain
- 19:25 CET Baltimore mayor criticized for police response to rioting
- 19:06 CET U.S. says Iranian forces fire on and board cargo ship in Gulf
- 18:43 CET Missing British girl’s parents win damages from Portuguese…