A group of several hundred people, mainly Jews but also including Muslims and Christians, has demonstrated in Berlin for the right to circumcise.
The rally was supported by more than 50 organisations and institutions. It comes at a time of heated debate in Germany following a June court ruling in Cologne that the practice was “unlawful bodily harm”.
Although it only applies in a small area, German doctors scrambled to halt operations nationwide.
“The federal German government must introduce a law which will result in circumcisions remaining exempt from punishment,” said the head of Germany’s Turkish community Kenan Kolat.
The Social Democrat vice president was present to promise he would help find a legal solution.
“We’re getting sick and tired of all the heated and incompetent gibberish on circumcisions. We’ve had it up to here. So today, we want to clarify a few things through our rabbi and maybe Kenan Kolat what circumcision really is and what circumcision means to our religion,” said the former head of Berlin’s Jewish community Lala Süsskind.
The issue is a complex one for historical, cultural and religious reasons, but also as it touches on child welfare and health issues.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar ‘is dead’, officials claim
Malik Ishaq: Pakistan Sunni militant chief dies in shootout
Cecil the Lion: two Zimbabweans face court for luring him from protected area
Channel Tunnel: one dies, COBRA meets in London
Syria: counting the humanitarian cost
Wires > News
- 13:05 CET Two Israelis charged in arson attack on Church of Loaves and Fishes
- 12:56 CET Niger strips opposition parliamentary leader of immunity
- 12:54 CET Afghan government investigating reports Mullah Omar is dead -…
- 12:42 CET Romania seizes record heroin haul after four-year hunt
- 12:37 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy
- 12:20 CET Zimbabwean men in court over killing of Cecil the lion
- 12:18 CET Bahrain sees ‘foreign’ link in attack, Iran denies role
- 12:17 CET Japan shouldn’t cave to foreign pressure on PM war anniversary…