A group of several hundred people, mainly Jews but also including Muslims and Christians, has demonstrated in Berlin for the right to circumcise.
The rally was supported by more than 50 organisations and institutions. It comes at a time of heated debate in Germany following a June court ruling in Cologne that the practice was “unlawful bodily harm”.
Although it only applies in a small area, German doctors scrambled to halt operations nationwide.
“The federal German government must introduce a law which will result in circumcisions remaining exempt from punishment,” said the head of Germany’s Turkish community Kenan Kolat.
The Social Democrat vice president was present to promise he would help find a legal solution.
“We’re getting sick and tired of all the heated and incompetent gibberish on circumcisions. We’ve had it up to here. So today, we want to clarify a few things through our rabbi and maybe Kenan Kolat what circumcision really is and what circumcision means to our religion,” said the former head of Berlin’s Jewish community Lala Süsskind.
The issue is a complex one for historical, cultural and religious reasons, but also as it touches on child welfare and health issues.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 3Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
- 4UN on human rights in Ukraine: ‘stop lies, propaganda and inciting hatred’
- 5[Live] Ukraine: NATO reinforces Eastern Europe Defences as Pro-Russian progress in Donetsk and Kramatorsk
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 14:37 CET Egyptian court jails 119 Mursi supporters
- 14:37 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, signalling compliance
- 14:35 CET Megaupload’s Dotcom, facing legal threat, launches political party
- 14:02 CET Jordanian warplanes destroy vehicles trying to cross from Syria -…
- 13:59 CET Yemen’s al Qaeda leader vows to attack America in new video
- 13:39 CET Russia mulls lawsuit against United States in WTO over sanctions
- 13:13 CET Nearly 300 missing after South Korean ferry capsizes – coastguard
- 12:34 CET Palestinians, Israeli police clash at Jerusalem holy site