The closing credits will roll on this year’s Venice film festival on Saturday. Eleven days of screenings, parties and interviews will end with an awards ceremony, where the Golden Lion for the best picture is handed out.
This year’s frontrunners include the ultra-violent Korean film ‘Pieta,’ Paul Thomas Anderson’s Scientology story ‘The Master’ and French 1970s drama ‘Apres Mai.’
Brian de Palma’s thriller ‘Passion’ is among the other contenders. But jeers after a press screening and negative early reviews suggested it was at best an outsider for the coveted prize.
‘Passion’ explores the sexual attraction and professional rivalry between two female advertising executives.
“Those two women, they use sex as a weapon,” said Noomi Rapace, who stars in the film.
“They are not in love and they are not really attracted to each other but it’s one of the tools they use against each other and against people around them.”
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Latest world news
West Bank: Hundreds attend funeral for Palestinian protester amid increased tensions
Culture ministers promote heritage and dialogue at Milan Expo
Hundreds of Crimean Tatar groups gather for world congress in Ankara
France: Roads gridlocked in ‘Black Saturday’ holiday getaway
Calais migrant crisis: France should ‘compensate’ UK drivers
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Merkel to run for 4th term in 2017 – Der Spiegel
- 17:17 CET Dutch activists call for Caribbean Netherlands to adopt gay rights
- 17:09 CET Iraq’s Barzani condemns Turkish bombing he says killed civilians
- 16:34 CET Myanmar leader goes to disaster zones as floods batter countryside
- 16:21 CET Airplane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 15:55 CET Iran’s parliament has no power over nuclear deal, top negotiator…
- 13:13 CET Syrian Kurdish forces say ‘provocative’ Turkey targeting them
- 13:09 CET Russia’s Lavrov to meet U.S., Saudi counterparts in Qatar