Cabin crew from Germany’s largest airline Lufthansa are returning to work following their latest walk-out.
Friday’s one-day national strike led to the cancellation of more than a thousand flights and appears to have worked.
The company has now agreed to arbitration and says it will negotiate over the use of temporary workers and plans to offer them permanent contracts.
Nicoley Baublies, spokesperson for the UFO union said: “We have reached an agreement on arbitration with Lufthansa. We have signed a pre-agreement that allows for mediation concerning the collective labour agreements in question. Formally this is the only framework so far.”
Unions say they are fighting back after years of low wage growth. Leaders say their members are looking for a 5 percent pay rise.
But Lufthansa maintains it needs to slash costs as it seeks to improve annual earnings by 1.5 billion euros.
“Today more than 100,000 people have been affected by the strike. We were able to compensate for some of the disruption through preventive measures and we hope that we’re over the worst of it now and that services will return to normal,” said Lufthansa spokesman Klaus Walther.
With a firm offer of mediation, union leaders have pledged not to cause any further disruptions for now.
Following three walk-outs in the past week, the company and its passengers hope they will not see the ‘annulliert’ or ‘cancelled’ signs again for some time.
Get a different perspective
Every story can be told in many ways: see the perspectives from Euronews journalists in our other language teams.