07/09/12 16:36 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Spain has ruled out asking for EU bailout funds as pressure grows on the government.
It comes after an influential Spanish business group urged Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy to take a decision as soon as possible to bring relief to the recession-gripped country.
But Spain’s Deputy Prime Minister, Soraya Sáenz de Santamaría, said the government is willing to play the waiting game: “There are decisions that you cannot take in a hurry, not even from one day to another. The implications are very important for our country and for our future.”
The opposition Socialists have also called on the government to take some action with the country struggling under the weight of austerity measures.
Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba said he wanted the government to go to Brussels and make the point that it can not impose any tougher measures that do not bring any results: “We must take the right steps because Spain needs to rid itself of some pressure,” he added.
But Spain is unlikely to yield to internal calls ahead of two crucial dates this month, including the results of an audit of its troubled banks and Moody’s credit rating agency’s next review.
The government is also facing two challenging regional elections in October.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Wires > News
- 13:28 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source
- 12:02 CET Two car bombs kill at least eight in southern Iraq – police sources
- 11:47 CET EU set to drive forward visas for Turks in migrant deal
- 10:26 CET Yemen’s Houthis seize military base, endangering peace talks
- 09:17 CET Three Turkish soldiers killed, 14 others wounded in PKK attack in…