07/09/12 11:39 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Three members of British family killed in France may have been the victims of a contract killing, according to detectives.
Saad al-Hilli, his wife Iqbal and her mother were all shot in the centre of the forehead. A French cyclist was also gunned down.
The Hilli’s seven-year-old daughter Zainab was badly beaten and shot in the shoulder, her four-year-old sister, Zeena hid under the bodies of her dead mother and grandmother for eight hours after the killings until found by police.
The apparently professional nature of the murders have led detectives to probe the possibility that the family were gunned down in an execution-style hit.
Both daughters are under police guard in separate hospitals, amid fears the killer or killers may return to eradicate witnesses.
Police believe the French cyclist was “in the wrong place at the wrong time.” The bodies were discovered close to Lake Annecy in the French Alps by a British cyclist who arrived at the scene later.
The family, who lived in Surrey, were on holiday at the time.
- 1Japanese volcano erupts on nuclear power station island
- 2US: Cars parked on frozen lake rescued after ice cracks
- 3One of world’s biggest container ships stranded on German river
- 4Pegida fails to ignite as Europe-wide anti-Muslim protests fizzle
- 5S Korea denounces N Korea rocket launch as ‘unacceptable provocation’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Partnering to grow Europe
- 9Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 10Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 11Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 18Caught by the Maasai at mid-on ‘Warriors’ play cricket
- 19latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 20account : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Latest world news
‘The Revenant’ director Inarritu scoops DGA award, as Oscars near
More problems at FYROM-Greek border slows refugees’ journey north
Taiwan quake: baby rescued 30 hours after building collapses, scores still inside
Two Koreas, two reactions after illegal rocket launch
US: Rubio under fire from rivals during Republican presidential debate
Wires > News
- 16:39 CET Fire on Mexico Pemex platform kills two workers, now under control
- 16:22 CET Saudi King Salman calls for others not to interfere in kingdom
- 16:14 CET UAE says ready to support anti-Islamic State coalition with troops
- 16:09 CET Irish finance minister sets out income tax plan, would raise…
- 16:03 CET Obscure at home, ‘Texas Daddy’ is a right-wing darling in Japan
- 16:00 CET Insight – Doctors puzzle over severity of defects in some…
- 14:44 CET Burundi grenade attacks kill four, including a child
- 14:40 CET Algerian lawmakers pass constitutional reforms, opposition dismiss