Three members of British family killed in France may have been the victims of a contract killing, according to detectives.
Saad al-Hilli, his wife Iqbal and her mother were all shot in the centre of the forehead. A French cyclist was also gunned down.
The Hilli’s seven-year-old daughter Zainab was badly beaten and shot in the shoulder, her four-year-old sister, Zeena hid under the bodies of her dead mother and grandmother for eight hours after the killings until found by police.
The apparently professional nature of the murders have led detectives to probe the possibility that the family were gunned down in an execution-style hit.
Both daughters are under police guard in separate hospitals, amid fears the killer or killers may return to eradicate witnesses.
Police believe the French cyclist was “in the wrong place at the wrong time.” The bodies were discovered close to Lake Annecy in the French Alps by a British cyclist who arrived at the scene later.
The family, who lived in Surrey, were on holiday at the time.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 9Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 14Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 15EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Spanish voters punish mainstream parties in local and regional elections
- 17Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 18Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
Wires > News
- 07:11 CET Analysis – Poll surge raises election win prospect for Canada’s…
- 07:00 CET Myanmar, Bangladesh in pact for return of 200 rescued from boat -…
- 06:39 CET Fire at China nursing home kills 38 – state media
- 06:19 CET Taiwan offers South China Sea peace plan to avert ‘major conflict’
- 23:05 CET Unpopular but defiant, Myanmar ruling party unfazed about poll…
- 20:48 CET Greece says wants to make debt payments but needs aid urgently
- 20:34 CET Obama heralds first U.S. Memorial Day without ground war in 14…
- 17:28 CET Militants kill five, target telecoms in Indian Kashmir attacks