The European Commission has said it is preparing to release a further 50 million euros in emergency aid to help Syrian civilians due to the country’s worsening humanitarian crisis.
The latest announcement came as Brussels called on both Damascus and Syria’s rebels to agree upon temporary cease fires to let aid get through.
The EU’s Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid Kristalina Georgieva said: “We are talking about leaving space for humanity in the middle of a conflict. And that is an obligation under the Geneva Conventions to all countries, and that is also an obligation for the opposition in Syria, because they aspire one day to be the government.”
It is estimated around a 250,000 refugees have so far fled the fighting in Syria, 17 months since the uprising began.
Aid agencies said despite a lack of flights out of the country and closed borders, the exodus is growing.
- 1EU could give more money to Hungary as it struggles to cope with migrant crisis
- 2Germany and France call for stronger EU policy on migrant crisis
- 3Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country
- 4European ministers to discuss extra train security measures
- 5The long road north: thousands of migrants now taking the Balkan route
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 9UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 10Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 11Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 12ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 13Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 14Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
latest europe news
Record number of migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean
Austria tops the migrant league
Ukraine asks Europe for more help to support Minsk accords
EU Agriculture Council called over falling milk and pork prices
Belgium to discuss measures to deal with migrants entering country