The European Commission has said it is preparing to release a further 50 million euros in emergency aid to help Syrian civilians due to the country’s worsening humanitarian crisis.
The latest announcement came as Brussels called on both Damascus and Syria’s rebels to agree upon temporary cease fires to let aid get through.
The EU’s Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid Kristalina Georgieva said: “We are talking about leaving space for humanity in the middle of a conflict. And that is an obligation under the Geneva Conventions to all countries, and that is also an obligation for the opposition in Syria, because they aspire one day to be the government.”
It is estimated around a 250,000 refugees have so far fled the fighting in Syria, 17 months since the uprising began.
Aid agencies said despite a lack of flights out of the country and closed borders, the exodus is growing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news