The European Commission has said it is preparing to release a further 50 million euros in emergency aid to help Syrian civilians due to the country’s worsening humanitarian crisis.
The latest announcement came as Brussels called on both Damascus and Syria’s rebels to agree upon temporary cease fires to let aid get through.
The EU’s Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid Kristalina Georgieva said: “We are talking about leaving space for humanity in the middle of a conflict. And that is an obligation under the Geneva Conventions to all countries, and that is also an obligation for the opposition in Syria, because they aspire one day to be the government.”
It is estimated around a 250,000 refugees have so far fled the fighting in Syria, 17 months since the uprising began.
Aid agencies said despite a lack of flights out of the country and closed borders, the exodus is growing.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 16Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 19Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news