A unnamed 62-year-old man is in Montreal police custody following the fatal election night shooting in Canada’s French-speaking province of Quebec.
The suspect opened fire at a post election rally for the victorious separatist Parti Quebecois, killing one man and injuring another.
The unnamed man entered through the back door of Montreal’s Metropolis theatre carrying a rifle and a handgun.
He opened fire just as Parti Quebecois leader Pauline Marois was about to begin a speech; her bodyguards rushed from the stage as the shots were fired.
Parti Quebecois want to pass new laws to secure the dominance of the French language, but it is unclear whether a referendum on independence from Canada will be held.
The victory ends the Liberal party’s nine-year rule in Quebec.
The now-former premier Jean Charest argued a separatist victory would be bad news for the economy.
But it is a message that even failed to resonate with his constituents: Charest lost his seat in Quebec’s parliament to a Parti Quebecois candidate.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 3Mali: no survivors found in wreckage of Algerian flight
- 4Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 5Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 08:50 CET Crunch time for Gaza truce talks as death toll passes 800
- 08:46 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.