Negotiations with the government are fast-approaching and Colombia’s FARC rebels have released a video showing a comical take on upcoming talks.
FARC leader Rodrigo Londono, who also went under the pseudonym Timoleon Jiminez, says he is willing to join the process “without hatred or arrogance”.
However, this does not mean the guerillas approve of the government. The lyrics to the tune sung by uniformed FARC members in the video mock Colombia’s president and say FARC cannot be crushed.
Preliminary talks are already underway ahead of a formal, full-fledged peace process, according to conservative President Juan Manuel Santos.
Santos told reporters that he expects negotiations with FARC to begin in a weeks’ time. Colombian press reports state peace talks will take place in Cuba and in Norway.
FARC, a communist-inspired organisation labelled terrorists by the US and Europe, is Latin America’s longest running rebel insurgency. Funded by the drug trade, the group has mounted attacks and kidnappings for decades and remains a force in rural areas.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:15 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…