McClaren’s hard work during the summer break paid off on Sunday as Jenson Button claimed a dominant victory at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa.
However, his team mate barely got going as he was taken out, along with Ferando Alsonso, by a multi-car pile-up triggered by French rookie Romain Grosjean.
Grosjean has been handed a one race suspension as a result of the incident.
Button won from pole position but Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel had to fight his way from 10th to claim second place. Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus-Renault came third.
Fernando Alonso still leads the drivers’ championship with 164 points, but hot on his heels is Vettel at just 24 points behind.
Vettel’s team mate Mark Webber is a further eight points back with 132 while Kimi Raikkonen sits fourth with 131.
Red Bull are well in the lead in the Constructors’ Championships, with McClaren second followed by Lotus-Renault.
- 1Euro 2016: Hungary win Group F, Iceland and Portugal also reach last 16
- 2France seals Euro 2016 Group A while Albania shock the Romanians
- 3Euro 2016: Perisic winner for Croatia stuns Spain
- 4Wales roast Russia to romp to top of Euro 2016 Group B
- 5Euro 2016: Portugal held by Austria, Belgium boost last 16 hopes as Hungary score late to draw with Iceland
Russia end European Fencing Championships on golden not
Judo: Youthful Japanese team sound Rio warning bells after dominant display at Budapest Grand Prix
Fencing: France defend European team epee title
Russia dominate day four of European Fencing Championships
Holders Chile reach Copa America final
Wires > Sport
- 02:38 CET Joshua overpowers Breazeale to retain IBF title
- 02:36 CET Wales reach last eight as own goal downs Northern Ireland
- 01:10 CET Portugal substitute Quaresma snatches extra-time winner
- 00:21 CET England win Rugby Under-20 world title again
- 23:20 CET Franklin looking to slam dunk U.S. trials
- 23:09 CET 2016 Greenbrier Classic cancelled due to flooding
- 21:09 CET Kyrgios takes on Wimbledon’s old man and mate
- 20:52 CET Murray plans harsh new initiation ceremony for Broady