McClaren’s hard work during the summer break paid off on Sunday as Jenson Button claimed a dominant victory at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa.
However, his team mate barely got going as he was taken out, along with Ferando Alsonso, by a multi-car pile-up triggered by French rookie Romain Grosjean.
Grosjean has been handed a one race suspension as a result of the incident.
Button won from pole position but Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel had to fight his way from 10th to claim second place. Kimi Raikkonen of Lotus-Renault came third.
Fernando Alonso still leads the drivers’ championship with 164 points, but hot on his heels is Vettel at just 24 points behind.
Vettel’s team mate Mark Webber is a further eight points back with 132 while Kimi Raikkonen sits fourth with 131.
Red Bull are well in the lead in the Constructors’ Championships, with McClaren second followed by Lotus-Renault.
- 1Real Madrid to face city rivals Atletico Madrid in Champions League final
- 2NBA playoffs: Golden State extend lead against Trailblazers
- 3UCI use iPad to detect mechanical doping
- 4Kosovo and Florence Hardouin enjoy landmark votes at UEFA congress
- 5No surprise in Atletico reaching Champions League final – Simeone
- 1Champions League: Bayern Munich v Atletico Madrid preview
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid v Man City preview
- 3Leicester City win Premier League after Tottenham draw with Chelsea
- 4Champions League preview: Atletico Madrid v Bayern Munich
- 5Kosovo and Florence Hardouin enjoy landmark votes at UEFA congress
Madrid celebrates football supremacy but wonders who are Real champions
Real Madrid to face city rivals Atletico Madrid in Champions League final
Former Fifa vice-president Jeffrey Webb facing life ban from football
UCI use iPad to detect mechanical doping
NBA playoffs: Golden State extend lead against Trailblazers
Wires > Sport
- 17:16 CET Fellaini and Huth handed three-match suspension
- 16:18 CET Glen Ella to join England as skills coach for Australia tour
- 15:51 CET Fighters need to learn more about concussion risks, study head says
- 14:41 CET Bayern keen to dispel Champions League gloom with league title
- 14:25 CET No move decided yet says Dortmund captain Hummels
- 14:19 CET Analysis – Red Bull move for Verstappen was always likely
- 14:00 CET Sunderland must hold their nerve to avoid relegation, says Larsson
- 13:15 CET Australia rule out Cooper’s Sevens selection