31/08/12 09:17 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The Mitt Romney campaign got a surprise Hollywood touch when the veteran actor Clint Eastwood turned up at the Republican Convention.
But the rambling off-the-cuff diatribe left many wishing he had not bothered.
Throughout, he addressed an empty chair, as if an imaginary President Obama were there.
“I never thought it was a good idea for attorneys to be president anyway,” he said, forgetting that Mitt Romney has a law degree. “I think attorneys are so busy. You know, they are always taught to argue everything and weigh both sides. And you know they are always devil’s advocating this and bifurcating this and bifurcating that, you know, all that stuff. But I think it’s maybe time, what do you think, for maybe a businessman. How about that!”
He might have got a good reaction in the hall, but even one former Romney adviser tweeted “Note to file: Actors need a script.”
Wires > News
- 16:46 CET Between 700-900 migrants may have died at sea this week – NGOs
- 15:29 CET Iran says its pilgrims will not attend haj in Saudi Arabia
- 15:25 CET Merkel, Hollande together mark 100 years since Verdun battle
- 14:15 CET Uganda to halt military, security ties with North Korea – South…
- 13:57 CET Nigerian president says ‘resolved’ to keep naira steady, supports…
- 13:46 CET U.S.-led coalition troops seen near front line in new Iraq…
- 13:35 CET Jordan’s King Abdullah appoints PM to oversee parliament elections…
- 12:41 CET Nineteen people rescued from English Channel – coastguard