The 69th Venice Film Festival has opened with a gala ceremony.
The festival’s grand jury features stars of the screen from all corners of the globe.
A symbolic empty chair was on stage for the absent Iranian director Jafar Panahi, who was jailed two years ago on charges of acting against national security.
Other jury members include US director Michael Mann and actress Kate Hudson.
They will vote to decide which movie will pick up the Golden Lion prize, the award handed to the festival’s best offering.
This year’s event, which runs until September 8, will show a total of 52 films.
It kicked off with the world premiere of The Reluctant Fundamentalist, by Indian director Mira Nair.
The thriller tells the tale of a young Pakistani man who becomes torn between East and West after the September 11 attacks.
American intelligence later target him, suspecting he has links to radical Islamist groups.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israeli attacks on Gaza intensify as both sides discuss potential truce
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3EU to impose economic sanctions on Russia
- 4Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 5Precious power lost as Israeli strike takes out Gaza’s only energy plant
- 1Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
- 2Muslims around the world get set to celebrate the ending of Ramadan
- 3Japan teenager arrested for beheading classmate
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Russia opens humanitarian corridor for injured Ukrainian troops, Russian state TV claims
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 347 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 4TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 5Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
Wires > News
- 04:54 CET Insight – In China food testing, safety inspectors are often one…
- 04:49 CET Bombs in Syria’s Aleppo kill 13 pro-Assad fighters – monitor
- 04:45 CET At least 24 dead in Guinea beach concert stampede
- 04:25 CET Colombia’s Santos says FARC attacks could end peace process
- 04:12 CET Most Americans see unaccompanied immigrant kids as refugees – poll
- 03:20 CET No safe haven in China’s corruption crackdown: People’s Daily
- 00:36 CET U.S judge says cannot seize Kurdish crude for now
- 22:30 CET Four California teens charged in murder of China graduate student