The 69th Venice Film Festival has opened with a gala ceremony.
The festival’s grand jury features stars of the screen from all corners of the globe.
A symbolic empty chair was on stage for the absent Iranian director Jafar Panahi, who was jailed two years ago on charges of acting against national security.
Other jury members include US director Michael Mann and actress Kate Hudson.
They will vote to decide which movie will pick up the Golden Lion prize, the award handed to the festival’s best offering.
This year’s event, which runs until September 8, will show a total of 52 films.
It kicked off with the world premiere of The Reluctant Fundamentalist, by Indian director Mira Nair.
The thriller tells the tale of a young Pakistani man who becomes torn between East and West after the September 11 attacks.
American intelligence later target him, suspecting he has links to radical Islamist groups.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan killing 47
- 3Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 4Official photos capture Prince George’s first birthday
- 5Gaza’s civilians, ‘no safe space left’
- 1Moscow claims Ukrainian jet flew close to Malaysian airliner
- 2MH17 flight recorders are handed over by Ukrainian rebels
- 3Demonstrations in Israeli cities over Gaza conflict
- 4EU foreign ministers expected to discuss further sanctions on Russia
- 5Israeli air strikes continue as death toll in Gaza conflict escalates
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3‘Lonely and alienated’ Oscar Pistorius involved in nightclub scuffle
- 4Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 15:47 CET TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing 40 -…
- 15:30 CET Somali woman MP famed for political songs shot dead by Islamists
- 15:20 CET South Korea ferry fugitive hid behind cabin wall, bags of cash at…
- 15:01 CET Bomb targeting imam in north Nigeria kills at least 15
- 14:20 CET Sisi’s bold start on economic reforms buys Egypt some time
- 14:08 CET Afghanistan, Yemen among U.S.-honoured development projects
- 13:41 CET Syria says hopes new peace mediator will be fair
- 13:15 CET EU refers Italy to court over Milan airport state aid