The 69th Venice Film Festival has opened with a gala ceremony.
The festival’s grand jury features stars of the screen from all corners of the globe.
A symbolic empty chair was on stage for the absent Iranian director Jafar Panahi, who was jailed two years ago on charges of acting against national security.
Other jury members include US director Michael Mann and actress Kate Hudson.
They will vote to decide which movie will pick up the Golden Lion prize, the award handed to the festival’s best offering.
This year’s event, which runs until September 8, will show a total of 52 films.
It kicked off with the world premiere of The Reluctant Fundamentalist, by Indian director Mira Nair.
The thriller tells the tale of a young Pakistani man who becomes torn between East and West after the September 11 attacks.
American intelligence later target him, suspecting he has links to radical Islamist groups.
- 1Netanyahu vows ‘knife terror’ won’t beat Israel as stabbings multiply
- 2Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
- 3ISIL training children to kill
- 4Germany: PEGIDA slams Merkel over refugee influx
- 5YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 10Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 11Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 12Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 13Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 14Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 15[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 18Kicked down in Hungary, saved by Spain
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
Wires > News
- 20:15 CET Exclusive: Gazprom to offer more gas at spot prices via Nord…
- 19:57 CET Islamic State urges jihad against Russians, Americans – audio
- 19:23 CET White House says ‘not much clarity’ about Iran’s trial of reporter
- 19:16 CET States to boost international protection for people fleeing…
- 19:13 CET Britain and China to hail ‘golden’ ties during Xi visit
- 18:58 CET Rushdie warns of new dangers to free speech in West
- 18:54 CET European human rights watchdog slams Roma segregation in Slovakia…
- 18:39 CET Japan, China agree to promote dialogue despite UNESCO dispute