One of Moscow’s most historic landmarks has been sold for 222 million euros. The luxury Metropol hotel has hosted all Russian life from revolutionary Communism to ostentatious indulgence.
Now it has made the leap full-time to capitalism. As part of Moscow’s privatisation plans, it has fallen into the hands of the Azimut hotel group, who had been leasing the building from the city.
Some of its valuable fixtures including the paintings remain the property of the city of Moscow authorities and will be protected under any modernisation plans.
The Russian capital is always short of rooms and presents a profitable opportunity for high-end hotel chains. Some think the building’s future will be better assured in private hands.
“If one looks at what has been done internationally in other cities where most of the historic trophy assets are in private hands, then in principle this is the right move”, said Tatyana Tikova, a valuer with Colliers International Consulting. “It’s because the private owners have enough resources to manage the hotel”.
The Metropol has seen a lot of famous figures come and go since it opened in 1901. Lenin harangued Bolsheviks there after they moved the government from St Petersburg to Moscow. For a while it was appropriated and became the Second House of the Soviets.
Famous guests have included the late Michael Jackson who stayed there in 1993.
The hotel is situated right next to Moscow’s famous Bolshoi Theatre and a short walk from Red Square.
Some analysts had expected its prime location would command a higher price than that paid by the new owners.
- 1Pope Francis kisses hands of Holocaust survivors
- 23D, 360° virtual reality is ready to launch – on an adult film
- 3Bombing in Syria not World War III, says Russia’s EU ambassador
- 4Migrant crisis: Hungary poised to shut unofficial border crossings with Croatia
- 5Syria: We believe that Russia has the wrong strategy, says US
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 3Hungarian camera woman caught on video kicking and tripping migrants could face jail
- 4Hungarian reporter who tripped migrants apologises for her actions
- 5NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 6Latest News Bulletin
- 7At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 10Hungarian camerawoman fired after being filmed kicking migrants
- 11Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 12[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 13Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 16Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 17Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 18What the top tweets worldwide are saying about #refugees
- 19[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
- 20Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
Latest world news
S. Carolina city to pay $6.5 mln over police shooting of Walter Scott
Spain says high speed rail line in Catalonia was sabotaged
Syrian army claims major anti-IS campaign has begun
Israel braces itself for Friday prayers protests as violent attacks continue
EU Balkan refugee conference attempts to end divisions, offer more aid, and work with Syria’s neighbours
Wires > News
- 08:06 CET Baby dies after migrant boat breaks down off Greek island
- 07:02 CET Australia, Philippines negotiating asylum seeker transfer deal
- 04:47 CET Malaysia arrests lawyer critical of PM Najib
- 02:17 CET France train attack hero Stone stabbed in California
- 23:44 CET SpaceX raps ULA bid to get U.S. waiver for Russian engines
- 23:28 CET Insight – Collision course with a hurricane: How doomed U.S. ship…
- 23:20 CET In India, a test for Modi’s economic reforms and Hindu agenda
- 23:15 CET Myanmar official accuses China of meddling in rebel peace talks