It sounds like something from science fiction, being able to control a device through thought alone.
However, a prototype wheelchair manoeuvred by human thought is very much science fact and was invented by a father and son research team from Australia. For the magic to happen, the user must first be fitted with a headband that reads brainwaves. The chair is then operated when the user thinks certain thoughts and blinks.
A camera helps the device to navigate obstacles and if stuck in a crowd, the chair’s own robotic brain takes over, but only for a limited time.
Researchers are confident this technology will have a huge psychological impact to people unable to walk and what’s more, this smart chair is simpler to use and less expensive than the similar creations being developed in other countries.
The smart chair has been already tested on 20 people with positive results. The next step for the father and son team is to get funding for a clinical trial where 100, severely disabled people will test it out. Then if all goes to plan, the smart chair could be commercially available in just one to five years.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 10ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 13Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 16Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 17Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Russia bans film adaptation of ‘Child 44’ | euronews, world news
- 20World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video