(This article is part of the fictional TV series and online game « The Spiral ». The facts as they are presented here never really happened. Click here to find out more about the TV series or here to find out more about the online game.)
Absolutely unprecedented art thefts have occurred this morning. Reporting for euronews, Léa Zilber spoke at the Rubens House in Antwerp from where the Old Master’s self-portrait, no less, has been stolen:
“We are learning about losses pretty much everywhere in Europe. Belgium is not the only target.
Five eminent masterpieces have reportedly vanished, notably in the Nordic countries. There is talk of a Picasso, a Munch – and a Rubens. There could be a connection, these thefts are probably linked. First, because they occurred at the same time, around 8.30 this morning. Then because there has been a signature. A spiral was left in place of the paintings, the same spiral used by the street artist Arturo as a trademark, as a logo. So has the culprit already been found? Well, no, it is not that simple. Because Arturo is currently behind bars. He was arrested back in July.
What can be done to find out who is behind this incredible act? There is total confusion for now and Europol has just arrived to investigate.”
- 1Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 2Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 3Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 4Handling of a child sex abuse complaint against a former British prime minister to be investigated.
- 5Fatal floods batter India, Myanmar, Pakistan, Vietnam and Nepal
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union