The European Union has criticised Ukraine’s High Court for rejecting ex-premier Yulia Tymoshenko’s appeal against her abuse of power conviction. Tymoshenko will continue to serve her seven year sentence.
The EU Commission also questioned the jailing of the former Ukrainian interior minister Yury Lutsenko.
After issuing a joint statement on the ruling with EU High Representative Catherine Ashton, EU Commissioner Stefan Fule told euronews: “We regret that consequences of the current situation would prevent two important leaders of the opposition to stand for parliamentary elections after the trials which did not respect the international standards as regards of fair, transparent and independent legal processes.
“Together with Catherine Ashton, the high representative and vice-president, we stress the importance for Ukraine’s authorities to redress the effects of the selective justice, as was the case with Mrs Timoshenko and Mr Lutsenko.”
The EU has also pointed out that free and fair elections are a condition for the signature and ratification of the EU-Ukraine Association and Free Trade agreements.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 4International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 5Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 6European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 7All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 10Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 11What to expect in “The World of Ice and Fire,” George R.R. Martin’s new book | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 18Philippe Starck: ‘Words like longevity and legacy have become almost avant-garde’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Femen protest in Kiev against Navalny verdict | euronews, no comment