The European Union has criticised Ukraine’s High Court for rejecting ex-premier Yulia Tymoshenko’s appeal against her abuse of power conviction. Tymoshenko will continue to serve her seven year sentence.
The EU Commission also questioned the jailing of the former Ukrainian interior minister Yury Lutsenko.
After issuing a joint statement on the ruling with EU High Representative Catherine Ashton, EU Commissioner Stefan Fule told euronews: “We regret that consequences of the current situation would prevent two important leaders of the opposition to stand for parliamentary elections after the trials which did not respect the international standards as regards of fair, transparent and independent legal processes.
“Together with Catherine Ashton, the high representative and vice-president, we stress the importance for Ukraine’s authorities to redress the effects of the selective justice, as was the case with Mrs Timoshenko and Mr Lutsenko.”
The EU has also pointed out that free and fair elections are a condition for the signature and ratification of the EU-Ukraine Association and Free Trade agreements.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 8Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 11International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 12Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
- 20Edgars Rinkevics: “I am gay. Good luck all of you.” | euronews, world news