The European Union has criticised Ukraine’s High Court for rejecting ex-premier Yulia Tymoshenko’s appeal against her abuse of power conviction. Tymoshenko will continue to serve her seven year sentence.
The EU Commission also questioned the jailing of the former Ukrainian interior minister Yury Lutsenko.
After issuing a joint statement on the ruling with EU High Representative Catherine Ashton, EU Commissioner Stefan Fule told euronews: “We regret that consequences of the current situation would prevent two important leaders of the opposition to stand for parliamentary elections after the trials which did not respect the international standards as regards of fair, transparent and independent legal processes.
“Together with Catherine Ashton, the high representative and vice-president, we stress the importance for Ukraine’s authorities to redress the effects of the selective justice, as was the case with Mrs Timoshenko and Mr Lutsenko.”
The EU has also pointed out that free and fair elections are a condition for the signature and ratification of the EU-Ukraine Association and Free Trade agreements.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 15HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 16NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news