The European Union has criticised Ukraine’s High Court for rejecting ex-premier Yulia Tymoshenko’s appeal against her abuse of power conviction. Tymoshenko will continue to serve her seven year sentence.
The EU Commission also questioned the jailing of the former Ukrainian interior minister Yury Lutsenko.
After issuing a joint statement on the ruling with EU High Representative Catherine Ashton, EU Commissioner Stefan Fule told euronews: “We regret that consequences of the current situation would prevent two important leaders of the opposition to stand for parliamentary elections after the trials which did not respect the international standards as regards of fair, transparent and independent legal processes.
“Together with Catherine Ashton, the high representative and vice-president, we stress the importance for Ukraine’s authorities to redress the effects of the selective justice, as was the case with Mrs Timoshenko and Mr Lutsenko.”
The EU has also pointed out that free and fair elections are a condition for the signature and ratification of the EU-Ukraine Association and Free Trade agreements.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 5English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 6Exclusive: Tsipras promises meritocracy, transparency for Greece, urges Europe to put people first | euronews, world news
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 11Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 12Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 13Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 14Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 15Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 16‘Blue’ dress causes internet confusion. Is it white and gold? | euronews, world news
- 17Barack Obama’s silly Buzzfeed video goes viral | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Elastic road surface reduces motorway noise pollution | euronews, futuris
- 20‘Europe’s interests come first’, says new Greek government | euronews, world news