The European Union has criticised Ukraine’s High Court for rejecting ex-premier Yulia Tymoshenko’s appeal against her abuse of power conviction. Tymoshenko will continue to serve her seven year sentence.
The EU Commission also questioned the jailing of the former Ukrainian interior minister Yury Lutsenko.
After issuing a joint statement on the ruling with EU High Representative Catherine Ashton, EU Commissioner Stefan Fule told euronews: “We regret that consequences of the current situation would prevent two important leaders of the opposition to stand for parliamentary elections after the trials which did not respect the international standards as regards of fair, transparent and independent legal processes.
“Together with Catherine Ashton, the high representative and vice-president, we stress the importance for Ukraine’s authorities to redress the effects of the selective justice, as was the case with Mrs Timoshenko and Mr Lutsenko.”
The EU has also pointed out that free and fair elections are a condition for the signature and ratification of the EU-Ukraine Association and Free Trade agreements.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 12International news | euronews, latest international news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 16Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 17Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 18French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news