The French government has struck a deal with the energy industry to cut fuel prices at the pump by six cents a litre.
The agreement will last for three months and means drivers will save 1.50 euros on every 25 litres.
The cost will be shared between the state and the oil companies and will result in 300m euros in lost tax revenues.
The announcement was made by the French Economy Minister Pierre Moscovici.
“This measure will also give us time to find a more permanent solution which is what the the president and the prime minister want”, said Moscovici.
The reduction was to come into effect within 24 hours of the announcement. It is a result of an election pledge by Francois Hollande to tackle rising fuel costs.
“It’s better than nothing, six cents here, six there, it adds up”, said one woman buying petrol.
The price cut will be reviewed after three months.
Fuel taxes are an important source of revenue for the French government which is struggling to cut its deficit in a stagnating economy.
Afficher Gas prices 28/08/2012 sur une carte plus grande
Petrol prices evolution in the EU and in the Eurozone Source: ec.europa.eu
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Kim Jong-un hands high ranking Pyongyang position to his younger sister
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 3Italy: Tourist fined 20,000 euros for damaging Rome’s Colosseum
- 4Australian cricketer Phillip Hughes dies two days after being hit by ball
- 5Thanksgiving turkey pardoned by president
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 7Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 15euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 20Syria: Islamic extremists pledge to press ahead with battle for Kobani | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:57 CET Thankful to arrive on snowy U.S. holiday with power out, travel…
- 20:36 CET French trial over hit-and-run death suspended after lawyer attacked
- 20:18 CET Portuguese police carry out mass searches in Espirito Santo case
- 19:55 CET Spain backs anti-graft laws as Rajoy tries to clean party image
- 19:38 CET Uruguay’s Vazquez set to extend leftist coalition’s run in power
- 19:31 CET Taliban kill 5 in Kabul in attacks on British embassy car, foreign…
- 19:28 CET 11 corpses dumped in same Mexico state as apparent student massacre
- 18:59 CET Polish ex-minister fined for not declaring luxury watch