Egyptian security officials say they have now sealed off 120 tunnels in the Sinai peninsula, which were being used to smuggle people and goods to and from neighbouring Gaza.
Several homes sitting on top of passageway exits have also been demolished.
The military has stepped up its offensive in Sinai with extra troops and tanks, after suspected militants killed 16 Egyptian border guards earlier this month.
Egypt says the gunmen used the smuggling tunnels to carry out the attack.
Lawlessness has spread in Sinai since the fall of president Hosni Mubarak and the election of Mohamed Mursi, who has vowed to restore stability to the area.
- 1Migrants with tickets denied access to Budapest train station
- 2Satellite images show ISIL destruction in Palmyra
- 3‘No person is illegal’ – Vienna holds rally for refugees
- 4Ukraine: deputies explain for and against the decentralisation law
- 5Hungary’s hardline stance on refugees ‘benefits’ people smugglers
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 6Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10Why World Elephant Day matters
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 13Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 14ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 15Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 16Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 08:04 CET Fleeing Islamic State killings in Syria, a family reaches Bavaria
- 07:19 CET Pakistan says ‘almost all’ Uighur militants eliminated
- 07:00 CET Native protesters seize oil wells in Peru to urge government action
- 06:49 CET Malaysia police to question Mahathir on anti-PM comments at rally
- 05:59 CET North Korea tells South not to crow about deal that ended standoff
- 03:58 CET Brazil convicts Odebrecht Group for slavery-like practices in…
- 03:13 CET Obama pushes for more U.S. ice-breaking might in Arctic
- 03:02 CET Israel slams Palestinians’ push to fly their flag at U.N.