A film school project by Sofie Peeters in Brussels, “Femme de la rue”, caused a stir at the start of the summer.
It revealed the sort of harrassment women have to endure daily in a typical big city street; cat-calls, whistles, jeers, and insults for their style of dress.
Faced with a rising tide of complaints, the authorities are taking action.
“If education does not work, our job is also to show that the public power is here, that the public authority is here. At some point, those who will not understand through education and campaigns will be sanctioned with fines,” says Brussels Alderman Phillipe Close.
From September, a charge of “sexual intimidation” will carry a 250 euro fine. A parliamentary debate will follow, and the law could go nationwide. But some feel it does not go far enough.
“We think just giving fines out to people is not enough. First of all, it’s not very clear what they mean. It’s not very clear when they want to give fines. Is it just sexist remarks or is it from men to women? Or is it also for example also homophobic remarks, which also happen a lot?” said anti-street harrassment campaigner and founder of Hollaback Belgium Angelika Hild.
Hild thinks the federal government should study the roots of sexual harrassment in pornography, frustration and constant stimulation by adverts. France passed a similar law in July with fines going up to 45,000 euros.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Syrian fighter jet shot down by Israel over the Golan Heights
- 3Israeli PM defends shooting down of Syrian jet over Golan Heights
- 4Algeria: Frenchman ‘kidnapped by ISIL splinter group’ appears in video
- 5Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 6Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 12Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 13Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 16The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:03 CET U.S. and Arab allies launch first strikes on militants in Syria
- 23:45 CET Confusion over returning French ‘jihadis’ suspected of Syria links
- 23:43 CET With Suu Kyi blocked, her Myanmar party eyes ex-general for…
- 23:40 CET Exclusive – U.S. told Iran of intent to strike Islamic State in…
- 22:43 CET Vatican arrests former archbishop on paedophilia charges
- 22:20 CET Snap polls looming, Greece may opt for unusual president – Deputy…
- 21:54 CET Obama calls for inclusive global climate compact that erases old…
- 21:32 CET Exclusive – United States defends Syria airstrikes in letter to…