Apple and Samsung have been fined, after a South Korean court ruled that they had breached each other’s patents on mobile devices.
But a judge said that Samsung’s Galaxy smartphone did not violate Apple’s iPhone design.
The technology titans have also been hit with a ban on national sales of some of their products.
According to Jung Dong-Joon, a Seoul-based patent attorney, the litigation value of the lawsuit was around 70,000 euros, so the actual damage was not going to be big. However, he said an outright loss for Samsung would have affected its brand image.
The Seoul ruling comes ahead of more crucial verdicts in the US, where Apple is accusing Samsung of ripping off its iPhone and iPad technology in a multi-billion euro case.
As well as damages, Apple is demanding a permanent ban on Samsung selling patent-infringing products.
Samsung, meanwhile, wants compensation from Apple.
“Consumers could be the bigger loser here. They stand to lose in terms of the choices of products in the market, the choices of features they can look at and price,” said Robin Feldman, a law professor at the University of California.
“When companies spend this kind of money on global battles, they have less to spend on innovation and it’s always the consumer who loses when that happens.”
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 3Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Syria: Ceasefire breaks down in three strategic towns
Ministers discuss how to protect Europe’s trains from terrorism
Bahrain policeman killed in ‘terrorist’ blast
Venezuela-Colombia tensions rise as Caracas shuts more of border
Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
Wires > News
- 11:13 CET Egyptian court sentences Al Jazeera journalists to three years in…
- 10:30 CET Nigeria says uncovers Boko Haram spy ring at Abuja airport
- 10:20 CET Thousands join rally to pile pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 06:10 CET Pensioner killed in Venezuela supermarket melee, opposition says
- 02:05 CET Libyan drownings, lorry of corpses drive up migrant toll
- 23:59 CET Venezuela’s Maduro to visit China, Vietnam for finance deals
- 23:38 CET U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Germany for training deployment
- 22:06 CET U.S.‘s Biden speaks with Ukrainian President Poroshenko about…