23/08/12 19:53 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
As the suffering increases for civilians and refugees, France says humanitarian issues will be central to UN talks on Syria later this month.
France holds the rotating chairmanship of the Security Council whose foreign ministers will discuss the crisis in New York on August 30.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said: “Our idea is to focus on the humanitarian aspect – to draw attention to these absolutely key questions – because we are talking about men and women’s lives; to reinforce the resources needed because all that obviously costs money which can be a lot for the countries concerned, to raise public awareness and to try to make progress on these issues.”
A war of words meanwhile is intensifying between friends turned foes Syria and Turkey.
Syria’s Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Miqdad accused Ankara of providing weapons to rebel fighters and of supporting “terrorists”.
“The aspects that have fuelled this crisis are well known,” he said. “Armed groups, terrorist groups, support by regional circles including the dangerous support by Turkey of the terrorist gangs, of providing these with sophisticated weapons and giving each terrorist in the world including al Qaeda free access to Turkey to come to Syria.”
Ankara, in turn, claims Damascus backs Kurdish PKK rebels, blamed by Turkey for a deadly car bomb attack near its border with Syria this week.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 01:21 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 00:40 CET Putin reshuffles Russia’s law enforcement structures
- 21:45 CET Canada eager to consider investing in new Montreal rail network -…
- 20:58 CET Blacklisted oil tanker returns to Libya’s Zawiya port
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…