As the suffering increases for civilians and refugees, France says humanitarian issues will be central to UN talks on Syria later this month.
France holds the rotating chairmanship of the Security Council whose foreign ministers will discuss the crisis in New York on August 30.
French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said: “Our idea is to focus on the humanitarian aspect – to draw attention to these absolutely key questions – because we are talking about men and women’s lives; to reinforce the resources needed because all that obviously costs money which can be a lot for the countries concerned, to raise public awareness and to try to make progress on these issues.”
A war of words meanwhile is intensifying between friends turned foes Syria and Turkey.
Syria’s Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Miqdad accused Ankara of providing weapons to rebel fighters and of supporting “terrorists”.
“The aspects that have fuelled this crisis are well known,” he said. “Armed groups, terrorist groups, support by regional circles including the dangerous support by Turkey of the terrorist gangs, of providing these with sophisticated weapons and giving each terrorist in the world including al Qaeda free access to Turkey to come to Syria.”
Ankara, in turn, claims Damascus backs Kurdish PKK rebels, blamed by Turkey for a deadly car bomb attack near its border with Syria this week.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 00:19 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 23:39 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 22:40 CET Avalanche kills at least 12 guides in deadliest incident on Mount…
- 22:28 CET Special Report – How the U.S. made its Putin problem worse
- 21:54 CET Algeria’s ailing Bouteflika wins re-election
- 21:30 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 20:50 CET Italy gives wife, daughter, of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 20:07 CET Brazilian tycoon Batista investigated for financial crimes -reports